Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Johannes captive Maiorina???  (Read 314 times)

Offline Mandelbaum

• Legionary
Johannes captive Maiorina???
« on: September 23, 2021, 06:01:46 am »
hello guys,

this coin has 2,90gr!! it seems to be Johannes, but never seen such as weight. do you have knowledege about?

thank you

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
Re: Johannes captive Maiorina???
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 08:41:57 am »

Your coin is Honorius with a reverse of GLORIA ROMANORVM; Emperor standing right, head left, his right hand on the head of a kneeling captive, his left hand extended over a kneeling suppliant. I can't make out your mintmark but this type was issued from Rome, Aquileia and Siscia.   
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline Mandelbaum

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 09:38:04 am »
Thank you very much

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 05:19:50 pm »
2.9 grams is very heavy.  But that is not problematic.  These coins were struck al-marco, meaning individual weights did not matter, even though there was a standard.  I assume it is on a very thick flan.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity