Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Pseudo-Byzantine die match?  (Read 561 times)

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
Pseudo-Byzantine die match?
« on: July 27, 2021, 10:06:59 am »
Two examples of Arab imitations of Constans II. I’ve had coin A for a few years, and recently purchased coin B, which I originally thought was a reverse die match to coin A. Now I’m not sure, and I’m leaning towards ‘not a die match’. I would appreciate the opinions of others. 

Bill R.

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
Re: Pseudo-Byzantine die match?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 12:54:46 pm »
I do not see a die match. The letter characters on the right side, and the way in which they align with the right side of the M, look markedly different to me.

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 11:55:31 am »
Thank you, Kevin. That must be right. But, given the slapdash way these imitatives were usually engraved it's a bit unusual to discover two dies so similar which aren't a die match.

Bill R.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 12:05:41 pm »
the encrustations on the second coin may be altering the observed orientations of the reverse devices. 

If I wanted to be sure, I'd bring both in to photoshop and make once coin semi-transparent then overlay them to more directly compare them.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 12:35:38 pm »
Thank you, Kevin. That must be right. But, given the slapdash way these imitatives were usually engraved it's a bit unusual to discover two dies so similar which aren't a die match.

Bill R.

Maybe it is a recut die, but it just looks like two different dies to me. On the right side, the character T at the bottom has a pronounced lean on coin B in relation to the right leg of character M, while on coin A the T is in line with character M. I don't think the deposits will effect this. The serif on the character M looks different on both coins. This serif looks well struck on coin A, but see how much lower it is in relation to the top arch of the M compared to what you can see of the serif on coin B. The bottom left leg of the M is different on both coins, and it appears to be rising sharply out of the deposits on coin A, so I doubt the deposits are markedly altering its appearance.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 07:59:06 pm »
Definitely two different dies given the position of the  :Greek_epsilon: among other characters.

But also definitely by the same hand.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity