Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID Livonia coin?  (Read 416 times)

Offline Alan M3

• Praetorian
ID Livonia coin?
« on: April 29, 2023, 03:24:22 pm »
Around the size of a US dime, super thin, and it appears to be bronze or billon with little to no silver. Distinctive lettering from 16th and 17th century. Either Livonia or Papal states my guess.

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
Re: ID Livonia coin?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2023, 06:55:05 pm »
Hello Alan M3,
Why do you think this should be Livonia or the Papal States? I doubt that.
When I turn the obverse of your coin a bit, I can see a big crown above a monogram. I thought the crown to be Scandinavian style and the top of the monogram is very much like the crossed 5's of Christian V. But no, that brought me nowhere.
The monogram is surrounded by a rope, with a noose on the right and the left. I can see two letters "s", one on the right of the crown and another at 5 o'clock.
I have no idea yet about the right position of the reverse.
If nobody has helped you by then, I "ll see tomorrow what I can do (Here it is one o'clock in the night).

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2023, 02:32:13 am »
Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth, schilling (szeląg). Probably Zygmunt III Waza, Wilno mint, but in this state I'm not sure.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=9973972

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2023, 04:24:53 am »
That's it DzikiZdeb! The Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth, congratulations.
There are different specimen, I see and ours is one with the crown not within the rope circle but Zygmunt III Waza is our man, I think.
I mistook the "O" of SOLIDUS for a noose in the rope   :-[. Can happen in 2023  ::)!

Offline Alan M3

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2023, 09:01:43 am »
Thank you so much for your help. It is a miracle you can get anything out of a coin in poor 1/fair 2 condition. 

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2023, 11:15:20 am »
There are different specimen, I see and ours is one with the crown not within the rope circle but Zygmunt III Waza is our man, I think.
It's rather not a rope, but a border made of dots and dashes. The type of border around the monogram is rather not noted in catalogs, but I may be wrong. For example, there is no such distinction here: http://blognumizmatyczny.pl/2019/04/23/wirtualne-muzeum-polskiego-szelaga-wmps-zygmunt-iii-waza-wilno-czesc-1/

If I have mistaken the mint, a clue to its correct marking may be a fragment of the second coin visible on the side of the monogram, which indicates that the coin wasn't struck, but pressed with a roller and then cut out of sheet metal. Wlino certainly used this method, but as far as I know, there were also other mints that produced shillings in this way duging Zygmunt III reign.

If it's Wlino/Vilnius, then at the end of the legend of the page with the coat of arms (reverse) there should be something like MDL (if anything can still be read there). This means that the coin was produced in the Lithuanian part of the country, and Wlino was the only mint operating there at that time. The MDL on the monogram page (obverse) is part of the king's title (=Grand Duke of Lithuania) and is not suitable for such a distinction (right before it is a record that he is also the king of Poland).

That's it. I'm not getting anything else out of it :-)

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2023, 11:18:46 am »
Thank you so much for your help. It is a miracle you can get anything out of a coin in poor 1/fair 2 condition.
You welcome :-) It wasn't so bad, after all, about 1/3 of the elements were identifiable ;-)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity