Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Islamic Weight 1 Dirham with Arabic Inscription (repost)  (Read 227 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Islamic Weight 1 Dirham with Arabic Inscription (repost)
« on: March 08, 2023, 03:06:33 pm »
Hi, all.  I posted this in "Weights" but I thought I should try here, also.  Here is another small bronze weight that I am having trouble reading.  If the letter in the center is an "F", maybe Jafar?  If it is a "WAV" I am not sure what it could be.  I found no identical inscriptoin in Holland's papers.  Apologies for the photo, this is as clear as I have been able to get.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks, Jimi

BCC BW43
Islamic Bronze Weight
Caesarea Maritima  1 Dirham
7th-12th Century CE
Obv: Arabic inscription in a circular punch-mark.   
Rev: Blank.  Rectangular brick-shaped slab in the
form of two truncated four-sided pyramids set base
to base.  Cut with a chisel from a thick sheet of metal,
with file-adjustment or finishing marks on the edges. 
Minor encrustations.  Uncleaned, with green, and black patinas.
AE 9.75 x 9.0 x 5.0mm.  Wt: 2.89gm
see also: Holland, W.W.O.C.M., ch.8; and Holland, "ANSMN 31 (1986)"
Surface find Caesarea Maritima, 1970's
(click for larger pic)

My weights album: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=-5252

All coins are guaranteed for eternity