Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: SNG  (Read 25888 times)

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Re: SNG
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2019, 06:41:44 am »
I make extensive use of SNG ANS in cataloging my Greek coinage.  It has a lot of coins and great coin plates.  Its weakness is a familiar and fundamental deficiency in the SNG format: no table of contents, and no page numbers.  So here's my stab at a table of contents for SNG ANS, uploaded to my TOC gallery here. 
Please let me know of any shortcomings!

Anaximander

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2022, 11:30:46 am »
Hello,

There is actually 3 books on sale. Here is the link to contact the library: librairie.archaion@skynet.be

They are in belgium. I already bough books to them and they are all in very good state. On the capture there is the three books you maybe search. Its SNG but between us im not on greek coins so i may have confused with other books.

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2022, 07:38:01 am »
See my today's posting in this section of the forum for the link to all the SNG Cop volumes as pdfs on gallica.fr

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
SNG Delepierre now online @ BnF Gallica
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2022, 11:27:47 am »
The Gallica website for the Bibliotheque Nationale de France has followed up its scanning and posting of SNG Copenhagen (here) with a scan of the first volume of SNG France, best known as SNG Delepierre. The scan appeared on their website in Sept. 2022. (here). 

You can read SNG Delepierre online, or you can download the PDF, but please know you may have difficulty completing your download in one go (it must be a very large file), but you can download pieces at a time.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2022, 11:42:15 am »
... The Gallica website for the Bibliotheque Nationale de France has followed up its scanning and posting of SNG Copenhagen ...
They meanwhile have also the missing three volumes of SNG Cop and SNG France 2, 3 and 4  :) .

Regards

Altamura

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
More SNG France now online
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2022, 02:42:01 pm »
Yes! More SNG France PDF online! 

SNG France 2 BnF Cabinet des Medailles. Cilicie. Edited by Edoardo Levante. (here) Paris, 1993.
SNG France 3 BnF Cabinet des Médailles. Pamphylia, Pisidia, Lycaonia, Galatia. Edited by Edoardo Levante. (here). Paris, 1994.
SNG France 4 Département des monnaies, médailles et antiques. Alexandrie. I, Auguste-Trajan. Catalogue by Soheir Bakhoum. (here) Paris, 1993.

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2022, 10:07:39 am »
The Paris scans are a wonderful example of the generosity of a large institution and we all owe them a huge debt, especially in view of the often quite high prices of such catalogs. I recently purchased SNG France 5 direct from the Paris Bibliotheque, and I betcha anything that'll be scanned soon...
Now all I need is the Lischine collection of his coins of Thrace.... Probably waaay down on the Paris "Books to be scanned" list.

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2023, 07:25:35 pm »
I also bought the hardcopies of SNG France. Still, I am hoping for a complete run of them as PDFs (I can always sell or donate the hardcopies).

found today:

SNG France. 5, Mysie
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bd6t53839776.r=Sylloge%20nummorum%20graecorum%2C%20France.%205?rk=21459;2#

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2023, 05:53:32 pm »
I only have the Calabria/Etruria volume as it's the only one I need, but they are beautiful and easy to use. It would be nice if all the volumes were available online, but even if they were I'd still keep my hard copy. Books are real, the internet is a temporary convenience at best.

~ Peter

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2023, 10:02:07 am »
found today:
SNG France. 5, Mysie
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bd6t53839776.r=Sylloge%20nummorum%20graecorum%2C%20France.%205?rk=21459;2#

See ? What did I say ? This happens so often - I spend my hard-saved pennies on a book and the telepathic gods of numismatics order Paris to scan it..  ;D

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2023, 10:06:17 am »
See ? What did I say ? This happens so often - I spend my hard-saved pennies on a book and the telepathic gods of numismatics order Paris to scan it..  ;D

In that case, if you don't already have them, can you buy SNG von Aulock next? (Or maybe try a duplicate set!) I'd love for BnF or Heidi to do those next!
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2023, 05:32:25 pm »
I have bought three volumes of SNG Turkey from Forum because of my love of Turkish coins, not because they are super useful. I love books and I wanted them on my shelf and I enjoy looking at them. Plus, I have a few coins that are in them. I do like their layout, as well.

Virgil

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2023, 08:35:09 pm »
I have bought three volumes of SNG Turkey from Forum because of my love of Turkish coins, not because they are super useful. I love books and I wanted them on my shelf and I enjoy looking at them.[...]Virgil
I really like physical copies for their own sake, even if a book is online. Having the books to go with the coins, and coins to go with the books, makes both much better. Of course, I'm extremely grateful for the books that are online since I could never buy everything I want.

I have a disproportionate number of Provincials and Carian, so I've thought about SNG Turkey -- especially Kayhan. So far, though, I think my only SNG is ANS Palestine (the super cheap one everyone has!). I may get Levante or Aulock (if an affordable reprint appears at the same time my budget permits).

As a substitute, I've been working on a set of the ANS series ACNAC (Ancient Coins in North American Collections, which began as Greek Coins in North American Collections).
So far: (1) Norman Davis (softcover); (3) Wheaton College; (5) Jonathan P. Rosen X2 (one signed/inscribed); (6) Arthur Dewing (two vols. w/ slipcase); (7) J. Max Wulfing, Washington U. (Also have Wulfing's RIC Augustus-Hadrian, listed as vol. III, published by Bolchazy-Carducci not ANS.)

Still need: (2) Wulfing's Greek coins; (4) Houghton; (8) Sofaer; (9) Houghton II; (10) Huth. (There's always other stuff to get, so the new ACNAC's have been coming out faster than I can get the old ones!)
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2023, 06:47:49 pm »
Quote from: Curtis JJ on February 17, 2023, 10:06:17 am

In that case, if you don't already have them, can you buy SNG von Aulock next? (Or maybe try a duplicate set!) I'd love for BnF or Heidi to do those next!

Actually a coin friend of mine in Berlin was planning to scan the von Aulocks, but then he went to work for a coin dealer in S. Germany, and is now working in England, so he never got round to it. I (or rather, my daughter) scanned a couple of coin image pages for GRPC, but they are all that silly large format, so won't fit on a normal scanner.

Offline Kevin D

• Consul

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2023, 05:56:26 pm »
I (or rather, my daughter) scanned a couple of coin image pages for GRPC, but they are all that silly large format, so won't fit on a normal scanner.

I have scanned pages that are larger than my scanner bed before, especially schematics that are always huge. I do multiple scans, usually two, but it may be more. It is a pain, but I then open both (or more) images and put them into one file. It isn't hard, just time consuming.

Virgil

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2023, 04:10:34 pm »
Quote from: Kevin D
Recently added: 

SNG France 6.1
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bd6t5399135g.r=Sylloge%20nummorum%20graecorum%2C%20France.%206.1?rk=21459;2

Thanks!  Kind of you to alert us of that new scan.
Such a large file! 122MB. The downloading... screenshot was taken near the end of its run.
All told, we are over 500MB for the first six volumes.

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2023, 08:36:12 pm »
I use a pdf editor such as Acrobat OCR and/or NitroPro and first delete all the empty pages between the plates and at the end. Then I use  the Save as Other... function to make the pdf smaller. This does not affect images.
My 1 terabyte G: external harddisk on which I keep all the wildwinds backup of backup files and my pdfs is getting dangerously full, and I have had to move some lesser-important pdfs to my NAS (4-disk disk station/home server), in order to make some room, so shrinking pdfs is a must for me. The results of the Asia Minor volumes:
My SNG France 2 is 47,126 Mb
My SNG France 3 is 47,114 Mb
My SNG France 5 is 39,308 Mb

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2023, 05:35:29 pm »
By the way, did anyone else already notice that the SNG France 3 on Gallica appears to be a proof copy ? I have noticed a couple of proof-reader's corrections, for example for Attaleia nos. 224, 225 and 280.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2023, 02:40:49 am »
I don't see corrections at numbers 224 and 225 :-\.

But for 244 you have one where the correction has been taken over to the online representation:
(under "Cote de l'original reproduit : 1984.727", you have to search a bit for that).

Similar e.g. for 581: https://catalogue.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/cb417812995

But if you find an error in the online presentation of the BnF and write them, they sometimes correct it. So we don't know what the trigger for the correction has been in theses cases  :-\.

On pdf page 9 (including the white pages  :) ) you find the remark "Don 95-341". Perhaps this means that the book was donated 1995.
In fact they have at the BnF several copies of this book: https://catalogue.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/cb35805108p
"4-MON-838" was the one used for scanning.

By the way: I didn't find out what the numbers in parentheses after the weight of each coin mean. Do you know?

Regards

Altamura

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2023, 06:21:35 pm »
The numbers in brackets after the weight are usually the actual Paris numbers, either the number given as "Fonds Général" in individual coin information the gallica website, but in some other works by other authors, they refer to the numbers in the fabulous, old "Inventaires" compiled and hand-written by Babelon, Dieudonné etc back in the 19th century.

A note to Sellers (something that always annoys me): There is no such thing as an "SNG Paris" reference number. It is either "SNG France" nnn, or "Paris" nnn. And ne'er the twain shall meet !

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2023, 08:38:29 pm »
I use SNG BnF and I use SNG Delepierre (even though the Delepierre collection is in the BnF). I find references to "Paris" that are clearly not from SNG BnF or SNG Delepierre. Some are in older refs. Some seem to identify coins outside the published geographic areas. I suppose they are some sort of museum number. In any case, I do not use them.  For that reason, I would never use "Paris" for SNG BnF (or SNG France).
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2023, 01:50:09 am »
... The numbers in brackets after the weight are usually the actual Paris numbers, either the number given as "Fonds Général" ...
That's it  :), thank you!

... There is no such thing as an "SNG Paris" reference number. It is either "SNG France" nnn, or "Paris" nnn. ...
Perhaps this is not so clear :-\. On the title page of these books you indeed always find "SYLLOGE NUMMORUM GRAECORUM FRANCE", but what will happen when e.g. Marseille will publish the collection within the SNG?

For the Tübingen collection in Germany you have for example the analogous title "Sylloge Nummorum Deutschland - Münzsammlung der Universität Tübingen", but nobody is speaking of "SNG Deutschland", it is always cited as "SNG Tübingen". It is the same with the Munich collection and the Pfälzer Privatsammlungen.
Here for citation the level below the country is used and then "SNG Delepierre" and "SNG Paris" are not completely wrong  :).

Regards

Altamura

All coins are guaranteed for eternity