Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Scarab 2 with Thoutmos III Cartouche?  (Read 7462 times)

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
Scarab 2 with Thoutmos III Cartouche?
« on: April 10, 2015, 02:44:15 am »
Hi All;
I need your valuable help to Id this Scarab with what i believe is Thoutmos III Cartouche?16 x 12 x 7 mm
Thanks in advance for all help
Nassif

albert d

Re: Scarab 2 with Thoutmos III Cartouche?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 11:38:44 am »
yes, it is a scarab with the name of Thoutmosos III ; in the middel is the name : Ra Men Kheper , Ra being the sun and tke Kheper the beetle .The name does not indicate the scareb dates from the time of Thoutmosis .albert

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 11:16:42 am »
Hi Nassif,

Kindly note, the prenomen "men-kheperre" is not in a cartouche or at least not in a complete one, if you do not consider the two sides of the inscription as exergues or bases for the papyrus plants. The scarab is definitely ancient but the workmanship would suggest a date to the Saite Period (25th Dynasty) or the Late Period (26th Dynasty) when it became popular to emulate the "antique" designs of earlier periods. The triple papyrus design on both ends of your scarab, first appears on scarabs during the 18th Dynasty. For a detailed explanation of this design motif, see Kantor, cited below. For a parallel inscription on a scarab see Jaeger, cited below, who describes this inscription as "ou peut-etre avec sens actifs 'qui a forme Thebes.'"

1.  Kantor, Helene.  Plant Ornament, Its origin and Development in the Ancient Near East. A Dissertation submitted to the faculty of the division of the humanities in candidacy for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy - Department of Oriental Languages and Liturature. Oriental Institute, University of Chicago, 1945. Re-issue of 1999. Pages 33, 286 to 288, Figure VII, 10.
2.  Jaeger, Bertrand. Essai de Classification et Datation des Scarabees Menkheperre, Orbis Biblicus et Orientalis,  Fribourg/Gottingen, 1982. Page 287, No. 118.

I hope this helps.
Russ

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 11:38:05 am »
For a parallel inscription on a scarab see Jaeger, cited below, who describes this inscription as "ou peut-etre avec sens actifs 'qui a forme Thebes.'"

Does that mean, "or perhaps with the active sense, 'who fashioned Thebes'"?

I don't really understand, however, what an "active sense" is, or what is meant by "fashioned Thebes". Unfortunately my French is rudimentary.

"actifs" is a typo, right, should be "actif"?
Curtis Clay

Offline Roma_Orbis

• Consul
  • ad avgvsta per angvsta
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 07:02:09 pm »
Does that mean, "or perhaps with the active sense, 'who fashioned Thebes'"?

"... or perhaps, in the active voice, 'who fashioned Thebes'"
continuing a sentence like '... who was fashioned by Thebes'.

Jérôme

All coins are guaranteed for eternity