Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Alexander III Gold Stater COTD  (Read 466 times)

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
Alexander III Gold Stater COTD
« on: June 05, 2023, 04:41:48 am »
Looking at kc's post of a star coin in his collection, his magnificent Tiberius aureus, inspired me to post a star coin of my own. Mine is a little more worn than kc's, but still a very lovely thing (I have the photo I took of it as a screen image on my laptop, so I see it every day!). As with most of the coins I post, it was photographed using natural sunlight.

MACEDON, Kingdom of, Alexander III, (336-323 B.C.), gold stater, (8.504 grams), Miletus mint, issued 323-319 B.C., obv. head of Athena to right in crested Corinthian helmet, ornamented with serpent, rev. Nike standing to left, holding wreath in outstretched hand and ship's mast, HK monogram in left field and double headed axe under wing in the right field, around to right ALEXANDP[OU], (cf.S.6702; Price 2114, M.577, BMC 2114a-c).

Steve

Offline kc

• Caesar
Re: Alexander III Gold Stater COTD
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 10:35:34 am »
Hi Steve,

your stater is highly attractive, congrats  :)

Regards,
kc

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2023, 09:33:50 pm »
That stater is unbelievable. Beautiful coin.

Virgil

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 09:03:18 pm »
Thanks kc and Virgil!

Steve

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2023, 10:15:08 pm »
Great artistry.  Congrats

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2023, 05:50:09 am »

Thanks Jay, glad you like it too. The portrait has a calm, assured and thoughtful aspect, perhaps what might be expected in a goddess of wisdom.

Steve

All coins are guaranteed for eternity