Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Lead Seal with Eros and Psyche?  (Read 386 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Roman Lead Seal with Eros and Psyche?
« on: June 04, 2023, 09:20:33 pm »
Hi, all.  Here is a very small seal with, I think, Eros embracing or struggling with Psyche.  Also possible might be two Erotes wrestling, which is a motif known from Roman gemstones from the 2nd Century CE (cf. Hendler Collection #100).  I also don't know what the curved object rising from the ground line between them might be, perhaps some type of tool or implement?  Any ideas, corrections or references would be welcome.  It is also possible that this is not a seal, but rather a decorative piece of some kind, as it could seem like a somewhat delicate object for a seal, but I can't say for certain.  The lead appears to be folded over on the back where the cord would have passed through, similar to a seal from the "Tom Vossen Collection" (Boersema, Dalzell, #219).

Thanks, again.  Jimi

BCC LSR25
Lead Seal
Caesarea Maritima
Roman 1st-2nd Century CE
Obv: Winged Eros, standing to right embracing or struggling with
Psyche? standing to left.  Also possible, two Erotes wrestling.  Curved
implement on ground between them.  Rev: Blank.  Typologically irregular
seal, apparently the lead was folded over the thread.  Alternatively,
it may have been some kind of decorative piece, instead.
Pb11 x 10 x 3mm 1.18gm. Axis:NA
Surface find Caesarea Maritima, 1970's
(click for larger pic) 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity