Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: More suspect stuff from the "Alexandria Collection" ?  (Read 191 times)

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
More suspect stuff from the "Alexandria Collection" ?
« on: June 04, 2023, 05:48:34 pm »
Among the Alexandria coins, I wrote yet about, I found now this coin which I think is a Severus Alexander.
But what is that reverse, marked L I A or regnal year 11 ? I cannot find it.
This time I kept the pictures exceptionally big for my doing, to give a good idea of the coins details:

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: More suspect stuff from the "Alexandria Collection" ?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 08:14:08 pm »
Why do you think it's suspect? Have you looked at RPC online?  Assuming it's Severus Alexander, it's one of these two:

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/6/10520
https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/6/10521

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2023, 08:37:45 pm »
An awfully dark picture.
Here it is with the exposure increased and sharpened a bit.

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2023, 03:38:24 am »
Hello Tom Mullally,
Thank you very much, you found the piece !
Why did I think it was suspect ? Well, I just had the case of those two cast hybrid Trajanus/Commodus "coins" from Alexandria last week and this reverse, Athena, I could not find and to tell you frankly I find it kind of odd for Alexanria. Personally, I have some difficulties to search in the RPC's, I could not find the coin at Wildwinds and "Roman coin Alexandria head Athena" gave no results on the www. I thought: this could stink again. But look ... not necessarily. Thanks a lot !

Also all my gratitude to Callimachus to make the pictures so sharp and bright !
I use the pictures my friend sent me, they are on five trays with nine to twelf coins. Not always top clear and often difficult to see the mintmark.
Your intervention is a real improvement. Thanks !

All coins are guaranteed for eternity