Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: RR - Same dies, different auction  (Read 312 times)

Offline Nick M2

• Auxiliary
RR - Same dies, different auction
« on: June 04, 2023, 10:18:16 am »
Hello!

My first post. I just recently started collecting Repub Roman coins. I purchased this at the [REMOVED BY ADMIN]:

[REMOVED BY ADMIN]

And today, a month later, I am looking at [REMOVED BY ADMIN]:

[REMOVED BY ADMIN]

And both the front and back dies are identical to mine!

Should I be concerned, or is this normal?

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: RR - Same dies, different auction
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 10:27:23 am »
To find die matches is quite normal. There are even some coin types that are all struck from the same dies.

Cast fakes could have indentical "dies", but this is not the case here. The two coins have different flans, different decentrations, different details.

More dangerous are transfer dies, but there is no evidence of that either. The preservation and details are too different.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: RR - Same dies, different auction
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2023, 02:56:54 pm »
Agreed, and a great looking coin too,  Congrats

All coins are guaranteed for eternity