Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Coin of the Day

Forum purchase o' the day

<< < (181/182) > >>

David Atherton:

--- Quote from: Curtis JJ on January 08, 2023, 05:06:38 pm ---I'm not sure how many more lists he published under his name, but he continued doing business as oldromancoins.com for quite a while.

--- End quote ---

Henri Delger is the one I recall in the early to mid 2000s running oldromancoins.com. Was he and Kreuzer partners?

Joe Sermarini:
Matt Kreuzer owned oldromancoins.com after Henri Delger retired. I don't know if he bought it or if they were partners before that. Matt stopped selling retail and became one of Forum's largest consignors, which he still is today.

Curtis JJ:
Here's another interesting Forum Purchase of the Day (but purchased a couple years ago) that I've just added to my "captives" Album: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=180556

--- Quote ---Roman Provincial. Egypt, Alexandria, Severus Alexander Potin Tetradrachm (11.20g, 21mm, 12h), dated RY 13 (233/4 CE).
Obverse: Α ΚΑΙ ΜΑΡ ΑΥΡ ϹƐΥ ΑΛƐΞΑΝΔΡΟϹ. Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Severus Alexander right, seen from the rear.
Reverse: LIΓ to right (Year 13). Trophy of captured arms (helmet with cheek flaps, cuirass, four shields, and four javelins); at the base, two Germanic captives seated back to back, hands bound behind them; to left, palm.
References: RPC Online VI Temp. 10618; Emmett 3138/13; K & G 62.205; Milne 3166; Dattari 4404; BMC Alex. 1701; Geissen 2491.
Provenance: Ex-Forum Ancient Coins (Corr. Date; # RX92522 [LINK]; 23 Dec 2020), Errett Bishop (1928-1983) Collection.
--- End quote ---

A couple of interesting things about it...

Severus Alexander had just concluded a peace with Germanic tribes in 234 and commemorated it with these coins, depicting Germanic captives. (On close inspection, I've always wondered, could that be a hairstyle similar to a Suebian knot? Hair swept forward, up, and knotted.)

Zoom in on Forum's sale photo:

Despite proclaiming his conquest, Severus Alexander's troops were apparently dissatisfied with his leniency toward the Germans. This has been suggested as a major reason for his (and his mother, Julia Mamea's) assassination by his own troops, and replacement by their commander Maximinus in 235 (within a year after this coin was struck).

Maximinus, of course, kept the coin type. Here is my example from his third regnal year (236/7), also from my gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=174801

Both coins continue the tradition of imagery first begun by Julius Caesar's Denarius of 46 BCE: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=174799

However, one of the interesting things about third century versions is the introduction of what we would call today "stress positions" on many of the captives coins. (On the Severus Alexander, but not the Maximinus above.) Notice how, unlike Julius Caesar's captives (or Vespasian's or Trajan's), Alexander's captives are not allowed to sit on the ground and mourn at rest, but instead appear to be bound in a squatting position, their hands (or elbows?) tied to the trophy, their muscles stretched taut. Likewise, later 3rd century rulers would depict the captives being spurned by Sol (Aurelian) or their horses (Probus). Apparently the cruelty of bound captivity no longer satisfied!

Virgil H:
Just got this one today. I will have more to say about it when I post it in my Gallery, but for now, this is my latest from Forum. Nice coin, I am happy with it for sure.

Neapolis, Campania, Italy, c. 270 - 250 B.C.

Virgil

Joe Sermarini:
Great color!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version