Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Julian II AE2 cut down into a Solidus weight  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Holding_History

• Caesar
Julian II AE2 cut down into a Solidus weight
« on: April 12, 2013, 09:10:06 am »
Hello everyone, I recently acquired this Julian II AE2 that was cut down and holed. It weighs 4.55g (someone plugged the hole with wax, so that adds to the weight), and appears to have been cut down as a gold solidus weight. Interesting piece!
All the best,
Nathan

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
Re: Julian II AE2 cut down into a Solidus weight
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 11:52:42 am »
Thank you so much for sharing the interesting artifact. I have a collection of various mints of the Bull coinage and this is a nice feature that you added. Appears to be of the Constantinople mint. So, that does make it more plausible it was used as such a weight.
I wonder how the general public felt about Julian after his reign?
Of course, the Christian view was not good, but remember there was a large "pagan' population still in the Empire.
Thanks again, a most interesting weight

Offline Lone Wolf

• Praetorian
Re: Julian II AE2 cut down into a Solidus weight
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 09:36:06 am »
I notice that it preserves the imperial portrait and is cut so that the bull is in the centre. Looks like the cutter, at least, didn't feel any active antipathy to the last pagan emperor. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity