Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ionia Phokaia Hekte  (Read 2061 times)

taurisker

Ionia Phokaia Hekte
« on: January 10, 2013, 03:02:15 pm »
I´d like to share this fine and rare Hekte with the friends of greek coins:

Phokaia Ionia EL Hekte ca. 625-522 BC
Head of roaring lion left // quadripartite incuse square
2.57g 9.9mm Bodenstedt 38
Additional reference: http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=600241

According to the acsearch record, seemingly it is a very rare example. I got it half a year ago from a reliable dealer at Vienna. When I saw it, I immediately fell in love  :-*
By the way: greek coins are very special to me, because the ancient greek culture was one of the most important here in Europe and it influenced so much ... my first greek coin was a lifetime issue of Megas Alexandros and I´m still passionate in that way.

Χαιρετισμούς !

Herfried

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Ionia Phokaia Hekte
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 03:59:14 pm »
a beautiful coin taurisker! so old and yet in such good condition, i completely understand your excitement at having found it.

this coin may also be considered a prototype for the later lion drachms and didrachms of Velia in Lucania, a colony of the displaced Phokaians. definitely an historically interesting coin for lovers of all ancient coins, especially Greek.

Quote from: taurisker
By the way: greek coins are very special to me, because the ancient greek culture was one of the most important here in Europe and it influenced so much

absolutely, and not just Europe but the entire western world!

congratulations,
~ Peter

taurisker

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 01:47:06 pm »
Peter, thanks a lot for your kind words!

Because these coins considered being prototypes for the phokaian coinage in their colony of Velia I took it, but the aesthetik aspekt was the main reason. Greek minimies have an incredible charme, which I always succumb.

Quote from: taurisker
By the way: greek coins are very special to me, because the ancient greek culture was one of the most important here in Europe and it influenced so much

absolutely, and not just Europe but the entire western world!

Fully agree ... we still benefit from the cultural achievements of the ancient Greece. And, for example, sometimes I ask myself: what would have happened if Megas Alexandros had not died so young? Had he really planned to conquer Carthage and Rome? How would the world look like today? This is speculative, but these are interesting questions.

Regards
Herfried

Offline rover1.3

• Tribunus Plebis 2012 / Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 02:16:56 pm »
...sometimes I ask myself: what would have happened if Megas Alexandros had not died so young? Had he really planned to conquer Carthage and Rome? How would the world look like today? This is speculative, but these are interesting questions.

Please Herfried, don't trouble yourself with these futile matters...
Alexandros is well dead in his grave and the rest of the world can sleep peacefully...  ;)
You might enjoy Lucian's thoughts on the subject ... https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=80471.msg530525#msg530525

best regards,

Nikos

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 02:41:43 pm »
Alexandros is well dead in his grave and the rest of the world can sleep peacefully...  ;) 

lol! and i'm very happy there are no hoplites marching down my street!

but these historical focal points are fun to consider. what if Alexander had lived to a ripe old age? and what if his relative Alexander of Epirus had conquered the west? imagine the dynasty that would have followed, and how much different the world would be today.

the same can be said of Julian as well, and many other dynamic figures throughout history. yes, the historical 'what ifs' are probably pointless, but they sure are fun!   8) 

~ Peter

taurisker

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 03:42:22 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Alexandros founded about twenty cities that bore his name ... his legacy extended beyond his military conquests and his campaigns increased cultural contacts and trade ... sure, he was an uncompromising conqueror, but: those who submited were spared ... summary: no fear, I would drink a Kylix of wine with him  ;)

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 04:57:30 pm »
A spectacular coin.  Thank you for sharing it.

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 12:04:59 pm »
A wonderful coin, and an interesting discussion...
    How would life in my homeland of England have been different without the Roman invasion... perhaps even with a Macedonian/Greek invasion at some earlier date?

( I don't think my current country of Sweden would be much different... far too cold for Mediterranean dudes to pay much attention to!!   :tongue: )

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 11:02:39 pm »
In a way, the lion type on your coin is a variation on the lion theme that started in Lydia.
According to literary sources, Lydia was the first place to make coinage (according to Xenophanes of Colophon).
Xenophanes was from Colophon and according to Herodotus, Colophon spoke the same dialect
as Phokaia.  Xenophanes also wrote a poem on the founding of Velia!  Maybe in that poem, he
said that Velia should have a lion type because Lydia started with that type and, to extend my argument
a little further, because Phokaia also used that type (like for your coin!).  We can't really know for sure,
but it is interesting to speculate.  Maybe a copy of Xenophanes' poem will be found in the desert.

To speculate further, I like the theory (expressed and dismissed in Arian) that Alexander the Great
was assassinated by a poison mixed by Aristotle, plotting with Alexander's Macedonian generals.
I am not saying that the theory is true, we don't have the evidence for it.  But, I like to think
that Aristotle said, "there are a lot of different interesting kinds of coins in the Greek west, maybe
we should stop Alexander before he goes west."  The generals said, "we are tired, and want to
enjoy our conquest,' and thus a deal was reached....

Congratulations on your little gem of a coin.  Some day I'll have to get one for myself, (but not yours).
Kind regards,
JBF

taurisker

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 04:06:24 pm »
In a way, the lion type on your coin is a variation on the lion theme that started in Lydia......

Interesting thought, in this way I have not yet considered. Thank you made me attention of these connections and if it is speculative or not, the story is a fascinating aspect with the coin.

To speculate further, I like the theory (expressed and dismissed in Arian) that Alexander the Great
was assassinated by a poison mixed by Aristotle, plotting with Alexander's Macedonian generals.
I am not saying that the theory is true, we don't have the evidence for it.  But, I like to think
that Aristotle said, "there are a lot of different interesting kinds of coins in the Greek west, maybe
we should stop Alexander before he goes west."  The generals said, "we are tired, and want to
enjoy our conquest,' and thus a deal was reached....

Interesting too. My theory is that Alexander was exhausted from Malaria and from his unreasonable lifestyle, especially after the death of Hephaistion he did not care. They all came back from India more or less ill. Many of them suffered from Malaria or other infectious diseases. But maybe he was poisoned (additional?), who knows?

Congratulations on your little gem of a coin.  Some day I'll have to get one for myself, (but not yours).
Kind regards,
JBF

Thank you very much! I really do enjoy this little gem every time when I look at it. Early greek coins are very special to me and I will keep this darling as long as I live. Hopefully you`ll find your 'needful thing' as soon as possible.

Kind regards
Herfried

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 08:58:03 pm »
Alexander was certainly drinking heavily during the last part of his life, and malaria can run rampant in someone weakened by drink. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity