Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unidentified Archaic coin  (Read 567 times)

Peter E

Unidentified Archaic coin
« on: February 28, 2012, 06:38:22 am »
Hi,
I am a "Newbie" to both coin collecting and this Forum.

I have inherited a collection of Roman and other coins that my late father accumulated in the 1950s (none are identified!). I am in the process of researching the Roman items but there are several other coins that to be honest, I don't know where to start.I am uploading (I hope?) the obv/rev of one of them since many of the others are similar.I will be offering this coin on ebay since I wish to concentrate on the Roman collection

This coin is bronze, 14mm diameter, 3mm thick. I am unable to weigh it accurately. I hope the photos help

I would very much appreciate comments etc.

Cheeers, Peter

Offline Xerxes King of Kings

• Consul
  • I am kind...
Re: Unidentified Archaic coin
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 07:37:31 am »
Might be from South to South-East Asia, from around Cambodia way perhaps? Colonial issue? French? There are similarities with the script and subject of your coin in these areas. This is all just speculation but hopefully you can use this as a starting point.

Cambodia:

http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=70181

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 07:58:42 am »
I don't think it's ancient either.
Andreas Reich

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 08:20:28 am »
It's a coin from French India (minted in Pondichery) called a doudou, dated 1836 or 37 (below the gallic cock...).

Peter E

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 12:37:13 pm »
Thank you for your timely responses. Much appreciated.I guess the coin is NOT archaic!!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity