Numism > Help For the New Ancient Coin Collector

Decorum and Courtesy

<< < (2/2)

JBF:
I like the word "replica," a replica could be a museum quality electrotype, or it could be a cast tourist fake or fantasy.  The word is vague enough to include a range.

I think nice, is nice, but with the caveat that even though it may be disappointing, it is not nice to allow someone to think that a "replica" is an authentic coin.  One might think that is "obvious"  ::) but I thought that it might be said.  I am amazed at how some people are able to identify such a great variety of coins, I think they and forum are a real plus for people who are coming in somewhat ignorant.  btw, ignorance is curable.

I like looking at posts of new individuals, even though I don't have the encyclopedic knowledge of some.  It might be worthwhile to have someone welcome them, even if they say that they can't help the individual with the specific new coin.  A friendly hello, will go a long way to setting the stage for a friendly enounter in general.

Kind Regards
JBF

Dominic T:
About “dumb” question : do not forget what they say in China : if you ask a question it makes you look stupid for 5 minutes – but if you don't ask – you stay stupid for fifty years.
DT

JamesC11:
And foreign language messages or responses--even jocular remarks-- on the English language page don't necessarily reflect decorum or courtesy either.

Virgil H:
I have never experienced this so-called rudeness and I am a newbie. I have seen nothing but kindness. I have a pretty thick skin, if I ask a stupid question I want to know I did. Just going to say this, I think "tourist fake" is a super useful term. It differentiates between serious forgeries and replicas. Something sold as a real coin is not a replica. I think my first post here was about a coin I bought in Ghazni, Afghanistan, while deployed there in 2011. The person responding didn't say "tourist fake," but it was oblivious that is what I had bought. They did say it was a very obvious modern cast. Pretty much the same thing. I wasn't offended, I suspected it was fake when I bought it. I guess I could have been offended by what they said, but I wasn't. I was happy to know it was a fake. Even though Afghanistan isn't a tourist haven, soldiers there are essentially just that in many ways. Tourist fake has a distinct meaning to me and I appreciate its use. Just my two denari.

Virgil

wileyc:
I can certainly sympathize as to not wanting to have rude replies, I think for me text and email can be challanging to transmit humor and sympathy. Sometimes I will look at a simple reply I gave and I can go back and look at it and it can appear curt and brisk, which it was not meant to be.

If I text a reply its because I like to reply and I find it rewarding to discuss some of these topics. Its great that you mentioned this as it helps me be more mindful of how things appear. Tell your friend welcome!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version