Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Fake COTD :)  (Read 1348 times)

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • All Elagabalus provincials to me, please! :)
    • Aeqvitas.com
Fake COTD :)
« on: October 04, 2003, 04:12:50 pm »
Just picked this one up as a placeholder-someday I will afford a real one! :)

Lead copy of a Syracusan tetradrachm. 26mm, 16.84gm. This is a rare die-struck trial piece reproduced by Peter Rosa (Becker Reproductions) from a genuine coin in the British Museum. Acquired from the estate of Mr. Rosa, who produced only a few of these pieces in lead for personal use from each die that he manufactured. Extremely high quality and well preserved. "Becker BMC 346" stamped into the edge of the flan.

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Aeqvitas.com
Re:Fake COTD :)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2003, 12:25:01 am »
And my picture, with more accurate color. Not too bad for a fake, obviously struck, but of course it's still fake. :)

Offline Severus_Alexander

• Procurator Monetae
  • Praetorian
  • Hail Hail Severus Alexander!!
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2003, 02:36:14 pm »
Any marking on the coin to show it's a fake?   Just curious if people are following the law or not.

Thank you.

Tacitvs

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2003, 03:35:52 pm »
"Becker BMC 346" stamped into the edge.  If I'm not mistaken, you can see it on the left of the obv. on featherz scan.

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Aeqvitas.com
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2003, 04:44:20 pm »
Yep, it's stamped on the edge. I doubt anyone would take it for real anyways, but in either case that part is taken care of. Saving my pennies to afford a real one someday. :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity