Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Coin of the Day

Macrianus

<< < (2/2)

PeterD:
Here is my example of RIC 8 -Indulgentia seated left, holding patera and sceptre. INDVLGENTIAE AVG
Mention was made of the silver content of Macrianus's coins. According to analyses that have been done on coins of Macrianus in the Ashmolean and British museums, silver content varies from 6.84% to a whopping 35.42%.

Potator II:

--- Quote from: Frans D on January 23, 2008, 09:02:35 am ---Very nice coin(s)! and very rare!
Frans

--- End quote ---

Hi,
Is it me, or is there quite a lot of them showing around these days ? I've seen some on forum catalog and in other places too. A hoard ?

Regards
Potator

mauseus:
Hi,

Mint 1 ones, yes, but the secondary series (whether a different mint or last issue from the primary mint) are extremely rare for Macrianus; no other one has shown up on this board yet!

Regards,

Mauseus

Potator II:

--- Quote from: mauseus on January 25, 2008, 06:46:37 pm ---Hi,

Mint 1 ones, yes, but the secondary series (whether a different mint or last issue from the primary mint) are extremely rare for Macrianus; no other one has shown up on this board yet!

Regards,

Mauseus

--- End quote ---

Sure Mauseus, I was referring to Macrianus ants generally speaking, not this type in particular

Thanks for the precisions
Regards
Potator

Luuk S:
Hi all,

I'm reviving this 14+ year old post as I was researching an unusual antoninianus of Macrianus which I received last week.
It appears that my antoninianus has a matching obverse with the coin posted by Mauseus, see picture below for comparison.
The reverse is struck from a different die though.
The Macrianus coins from the secondary mint (Emesa?) appear quite rare indeed, i have found very few examples so far.

gr Luuk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version