Antiquities Discussion Forums > Other Antiquities

Help ID Roman god ...

(1/1)

Tanit:
Hi

I apologize for going out of the subject of coins.
I would like to identify this small mask (which served probably as brooch and which represents maybe a Roman god). Has anybody an idea of the fact that it could be?

Thanks

archivum:
There were not a lot of bald Greco-Roman divinities; Silenos is a major exception -- see

http://www.museum.upenn.edu/Greek_World/pottery_big-36.html and
[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

On the other hand, your fellow looks more distinguished than usual for Silenos; perhaps he is Socrates, who in some ways looked much like Silenos (Alcibiades' comment in Plato's Symposium) but with ample inner merits to make up for it.  It could also be Homer or some other cultural icon, a sage or a poet; Aeschylos was so famously bald that a bird was supposed to have killed him by trying to crack turtles on his forehead.  As for your brooch, it was probably a high-brow status-symbol of sorts, or at least middle-brow; compare modern-day half-busts of Beethoven.

Tanit:
Thank you archivum

I believe that you are right: it is possible whether it is Silenos. I see that he has the same horns on the head. ;D

archivum:
I have an idea that those bumps on the forehead are parts of a garland, perhaps knots or florettes; consider this fresco from the Villa of the Mysteries, Pompeii:
[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Tanit:
Look at this photo. I have the impression that they are horns: two on the side and one in the middle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version