Resources > Ancient and Medieval Coin Identification Help

Is there a snake in hand on reverse?

(1/1)

Shekels:
Again I apologize for not knowing how to properly describe ancients. All I can say is that there is a head facing right on the obverse and on the reverse it looks like someone standing holding a snake. The size is between a nickle and a dime and the coin is thick.  :-\

Jochen:
Hi!

The rev. is Hygieia feeding a snake coiled around a column from a patera. The coin seems to be from Pautalia. You can read VTALIAC on the rev. The bust is Faustina jun.

The correct attribution depends on the legends. Sadly they are not entirely legible. It could be
Ruzicka 127, obv. FAVCTEIN - A CEBACTH, rev. OVLPIAC PAVTALIAC, or
Ruzicka 129, obv. FAVCTEINA - CEBACTH, rev. idem

Best regards

Tiathena:

Hmmm…
  Looks to me as it might could be Faustina on obv. –and- maybe, Hygieia (or Salus?) feeding a serpent from patera on the reverse?

Well – I’m too slow – now I see Jochen has already answered. :)

..But “.. feeding a snake coiled around a column from a patera” -?
  It looks to me more like the ‘holding serpent in right hand, feeding from patera…’

Or am I just missing where the column is supposed to be?

Best,
  Tia

slokind:
I think that Tia is right, and this is the type of Hygieia quite commonly seen in the Balkans where she holds the snake diagonally across her body to feed it.  Pat L.

Jochen:
You are right! I too can't see a column. I have taken the description from Ruzicka without re-checking it, sorry. Both numbers I have posted should have the column.

Best regards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version