Resources > Ancient and Medieval Coin Identification Help

Licinius Genio Pop Rom from QARL

(1/1)

Diederik:
From the title of the thread it might be concluded that I know everything there is to know about this coin, but......
IMP.LICINIVS P.F.AVG. laureate draped and cuirassed bust seen 3/4 right.
GENIO P-OP. ROM. Genius of the Roman people standing left, modius on the head, holding a patera and cornucopiae, Chlamys over the left shoulder/arm?
In the exergue: QARL and in the fields: T over star - F

In Helvetica's list there is just one Licinius coin from these series, from the first officina with S - F in the fields; the coins of Constantine of this series are from the first officina as well and just oner of them has identical markings in the field (RIC 78).

Is this a new discovery or has it been noticed before (Voetter?)

Frans

Heliodromus:
There's no indication in RIC that Voetter or anyone else had seen it (RIC sometimes does footnote unlisted coins, that it can't verify and usually thinks unlikely to exist). Kent hadn't seen it either.

Constantine's GENIO POP ROM (& MARTI CONSERVATORI) series ended in 316, and this T/*|F mark is the final issue of this type from Arles in that year. The GENIO output must have been very small as it's only known to RIC from two specimens (both for Constantine) in Vienna.

Very desireable!

Ben

Diederik:
Thank you so far Ben,
The two specimen of Constantine are of the first officina; how does that relate to 'Q'?  How many officinae were active during 313-316?

Frans

PS One fool can ask more than ten wise men can answer.

Heliodromus:
Frans, there were four officinas in use at Arles at this time: PSTQ, and RIC 78 shows this mark for Constantine for P & T (the data in Helvetica's spreadsheet has been mis-entered, and shows the officina in field vs exergue). The much more plentiful SOLI INVICTO type for this same T/*|F issue shows all four officinas being used both for Constantine and Licinius, and I'd guess that was probably also the case for GENIO POP ROM, but obviously a few more specimens need to show up to prove that!

You should post this in the Roman coins or Coin of the day section to make sure that others who are interested see it.

I've seen you post a number of Constantine issued coins... If this is the period you collect, then I'd strongly recommend buying Victor Failmezgers book "Roman Bronze Coins" that covers this precise time period - it's an enjoyable book that not only covers all the types that were issued, but also ties them to the history and includes masses of information. I must have consulted that book every day for about a year after I bought it!

http://www.romanbronzecoins.com/

Ben

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version