Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Put me out of my misery, please.  (Read 1249 times)

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
Put me out of my misery, please.
« on: January 09, 2007, 07:16:12 pm »
Hi all,

I cleaned this coin a while ago.  It was found by a man I knew along with some great URBS ROMA and others.  I have had this coin for a while now and whilst I always thought it was a very pretty coin, great Green and mainly silvered, I never really tried to identify it until this week.

I am stuck.

I believe that the Obv Legend says CRISPUS on the left, and I have tried and never really succeeded at the right hand part.  It could start with an "N" but it is quite worn and difficulkt to be sure.  The obverse looks like a standard VLPP with mint mark of PLN.  Now I cannot find any refernce to a VLPP from Crispus, from the London mint unless the Obv Legend starts FL IVL.  Blatantly I am either really misreading it, or this is NOT Crispus.

Any help appreciated,

regards

Mark

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: Put me out of my misery, please.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 07:45:31 pm »
The pic is on the small side, but possibly RIC 179, R4, with the obverse legend CRISPV-S NOB CAES. Does that work?
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 07:53:26 pm »
Looks like it might be  :)

I have attached a larger pic in black and white for your opinion.

regards

Mark

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 08:13:33 pm »
 :(
It can't be, there is no legend break in CRISPVS, unless I am reading it completely wrong

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 08:22:10 pm »
Possibly an unrecorded legend break?
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 08:53:00 pm »
hmmm

I like the sound of it as that almost certainly makes it rarer. 

It seems to have a legend mix of RIC VII 179 and 178, i.e. CRISPV-S NOB CAES and CRISPVS-NOB CAESAR.  The former appears to have the right number of letters and the latter the right legend break  :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity