Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > History and Archeology

Goggle Maps and Italy

(1/3) > >>

basemetal:
Has anyone used Google Maps with the perspective of ancient rome?

As an educational tool it is invaluable.
For instance, Google Maps will impress upon you just how volcanic the past of Italy is/was.
I'd never seen the country that way.
You can just "take a flight" over the area of Rome or Naples down to 3 meteres or in some place 1 metre I believe and view the countryside.  It's amazing how many ruins you will find as well as impressions of (possibly) ancient roman structures in plowed fields.
You can view the ancient port of Ostia which is now about 2 miles inland and from the height perspective see the outlines of the ancient harbor around Trajans harbor and to the southeast the actual city of Ostia itself.
The maps section of the application is very well and complete for Italy, so you can get a good idea of where you are. Also don't miss the occasional airliner in flight captured incidentally!
Also many areas of the world on Google maps are blank in the map not the sattelite mode.
MapLink or maplink.com will help here.
As an aside, places like Leptis Magna(sp?) are very well documented and you can see the ruins as it were for "free".

AncientCoins:
I have used it, and I zoomed in on the Coliseum  :laugh:  Google Earth is an amazing program, I love it.

Andrew

peterpil19:

--- Quote from: Basemetal on June 02, 2006, 10:21:08 pm ---Has anyone used Google Maps with the perspective of ancient rome?

--- End quote ---

I've used it from the perspective of Ancient Greece. Problem is, the cities are covered, but not all the villages which are scattered all over the country-side. Can't seem to remember if it covers all  the islands. Without a doubt it will cover major islands like Crete.

My father's village in Lakonia has a byzantine castle which is one of three (everyone knows the one at Monemvasia) that used to communicate with one another via smoke signals. It would have been nice to see their respective locations in Google Maps but alas...

--Peter
--Peter

slokind:
It is too long since I read Kevin Phillips on the Castles of the Morea.  I went to Passava.  Which one is yours?  Pat L.

peterpil19:
Sorry for the late reply Slokind, just saw your post.

The castle is in the town of Geraki. Here is a webpage relating to it: http://www.culture.gr/2/21/212/21205a/e212ea03.html

When I visited early last year, I took lots of pictures, I'll make sure to post them in a gallery somewhere. There are byzantine churches/chapels that are still amazingly intact.

--Peter

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version