Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > History and Archeology

Hadrian's Road Trips

<< < (3/3)

AncientCoins:

--- Quote from: Basemetal on May 04, 2006, 09:06:03 pm ---Lol...I love that Nero was roundly criticised for traveling to Greece, but Hadrian was seen as simpy expanding his horizons, and shoring up and improving  the empire.  I don't disagree, just find the irony interesting!

--- End quote ---

Yeah, but wasn't Nero there to sing or learn poetry and stuff? ??? :)

Andrew

basemetal:
I believe so, but Hadrian traveled to Greece to participate in a mystery cult ceremony(s) also.

Vitruvius:
There seem to be two distinct differences between Nero and Hadrian.  Hadrian was all about the empire, and how he could improve and further stabilize it.  Nero was all about himself!!  The mere fact that he built an extraordinarily lavish palace after the great fire in 64 is just plain wrong!

Hadrian may have been involved in a mysterious ceremony based on his love for the Hellenistic culture, but can we really compare a strong leader who gave himself for the empire to a young selfish brat with no sense of humanity?

Is it obvious Nero is my favorite? :)

Robert_Brenchley:
I think initiation into a mystery was one thing, and making a public idiot of yourself singing and participating in chariot races was quite another! The latter was very unRoman as far as traditionalists were concerned.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version