Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 3-30 featherz  (Read 2542 times)

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • All Elagabalus provincials to me, please! :)
    • Aeqvitas.com
3-30 featherz
« on: March 30, 2003, 10:28:53 am »
Here's a grungy but interesting coin. A truncated foot! what fun. :)

Trajan Decius --AE21. Pisidia, Isinda. R: Truncated Human Foot left. Von Aulock, Pisidiens I, p. 97, 898ff. 08/06/2001

Several years ago when I bought this coin, I asked a few of the 'experts' on the meaning. Several theories, but mostly just guesses.

Offline LordBest

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Re:3-30 featherz
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2003, 10:33:28 am »
Maybe it was to commemorate Decius "stamping" out the Gothic invasions. ;) A very odd thing to put a coin. Perhaps it represents the votive wossnames left at temples? Hows that for a guess. 8)
                                          Lordbest. 8)

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • All Elagabalus provincials to me, please! :)
    • Aeqvitas.com
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2003, 10:36:51 am »
Yes, it could be a temple offering (that was one suggestion) or it could be related to isinda's apparently mountainous terrain (aka hiking) or to Decius foot infection or? I paid too much for this because I thought it was amusing. :P

Offline LordBest

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2003, 10:42:27 am »
I can just imagine a commemorative column in the city "To our divine lord Trajan Decius, we hope your foot infection gets better soon. To this end we have struck a series of votive coins. Love, the people of Isinda. P.S. We would like a new ampitheatre."
                                       LordBest. 8)

derosa

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2003, 10:44:06 pm »
The answer is obvious, italy had some foot problems going and had to take the boot off  :-X  ;D

All coins are guaranteed for eternity