Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Coin of the Day

Gordianus provincial medallion

(1/2) > >>

Pscipio:
I just got this huge coin, an AE 38 from Markianopolis, struck for Gordianus III. I think it was whitetd49, who saw me going for it and refrained from bidding on it too (thanks again, I owe you one!). I got it very cheap - have a look at the sellers picture (2nd one) and compare with mine (first one)!

Magistrate Ulpius Tertullianus (thank you, Patricia) for Gordianus III., AE 38 from Markianopolis, Moesia inferior, 238-244 AD.
Obv: AVT K M ANT GORD-I-ANOC AVG, radiate bust with paludamentum and cuirass (Gorgon on it) left, raising right hand and holding globe left.
Rev: VP TEPTVLL-IA-NOV MAPKIANOPOLITW, OMONOIA in exergue, turreted city goddess, holding cornucopiae left, and Gordianus, wearing Toga and holding scroll left, facing each other, clasping hands above tripod.
Ø 35-38 mm, 24.80 g.
AMNG 1098
Very rare

Not in great preservation, but interesting motifs on both sides and very rare.

Comment from Curtis Clay in the German forum:
"Pick 1098 notices specimens in London, Paris, Berlin and Vienna. Too, he remarks: "The obverse, as already noticed by A. v. Sallet, appears to be from the same die like several medallions from Odessos (z.B. Taf. V, 5) and Tomis (z.B. Taf. VII, 8)." So it is the first die connection between provincial mints on european soil ever noticed!"

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=560&pos=2

Lars

whitetd49:
Wow, the coin is much better than the sellers pic.  I did not notice that the bust was radiate until I saw your picture.  Yes, I was tempted to bid but you cannot buy them all, glad you got it.

slokind:
In a private collection, I know of another from the same set, with Athena seated to l. holding Nike on her outstretched hand.  The obverse die is the same, I think.   The magistrate's name is TertulliANus.  If you measure the impression of the die by holding a graduated metric template around the border on coin, you will see that Pick's measurement of Æ34 is not really at odds with yours; it is just the extra metal that makes it larger or smaller by two or three millimeters.  Marcianopolis is not noted for issuing medallions of this size (or commemorative coins, if they were monetary and legal tender).  The Gordian III ones are truly exceptional here--but you already know that.  Pat L.

Pscipio:
Thank you for the corrections, Pat, of course it is Tertullianus, like it is written in the reverse.

Lars

Potator II:
Hi Lars
From the pictures, you would not tell it is the same coin, that's unbelievable
Potator

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version