Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Coin of the Day

Caracalla, Herakles COTD

(1/2) > >>

whitetd49:
We have a tendency to be attracted to the nice big 4 or 5 assaria pieces (myself included).  Came across this little AE 18 and couldn't resist it.  Cannot remember seeing this one before.

Caracalla.  AVT K M AV ANTONIN, bust laureate, draped, right.
NIKOPOLITON PROCIC, head of Herakles, right.  Varbanov 2372, Moushmov 1084.  Same dies as WW specimen.

slokind:
Here are old scans of Septimius's and a more childish looking obverse die for Caracalla.  I like your Caracalla best.  Pat L.
The Septimius is Pick 1385; the Caracalla is Pick 1594.  The head is that of the Weary Herakles; its original was by Lysippos, and in the Baths of Caracalla was found the huge copy known as the Farnese Hercules (Naples) from which the type takes its name.

whitetd49:
Thanks Pat!  I had to go find the original from the Baths.

slokind:
Basel, Antikenmus.  BS 204  Head of a copy of Lysippos's Resting Herakles (Herakles Farnese).  Heroic but not colossal scale, a very attractive copy.
The Baths of Caracalla, ex Farnese, now Naples statue is the 'namepiece' of the type, but it is, well, Caracallan, and it was made for a very large niche in a Three-Tenors-Size Terme.  Among the copies only about 15% over lifesize, presumably the original size, is this head in Basel, which I could photograph all round, including this view not too far off from that of the coins.  Pat L.

whitetd49:
I have to give you credit Pat.  Without your expertise in art history, I would never have made the connection between the reverse of these coins and an actual statue apparently commissioned during the reign of Alexander.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version