Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Coins Discussion Forum

Where's that Victory-Nemesis thread?

(1/4) > >>

slokind:
I recall saying that this question is full of moot points.  I just ran across this coin (too expensive even to look at) that really compounds the question.  It is called Pax-Nemesis (yes) and it is Sear 2000 no. 1846 (=RIC 52), or, if you want it in gold, Sear 2000 no. 1833 (=RIC 9).  We aren't supposed to mention sellers here, but I assure you that it's already been through Tkalecs and I can't imagine who can afford it.  Why I don't collect Twelve Caesars.
Anyway, I post it by its Sear number (illustrated there), because it is such a beautiful illustration of the complications arising from that gesture of pulling out one's peplos!
I was going to add it to the recent thread, but I couldn't find it.
Pat Lawrence

Steve Minnoch:
This thread Pat?
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=22010.0

Steve

Jochen:
Here is a counterpart in gold. A bit worn and not so nice like the denar but same gesture.

Claudius 41 - 54
AV - Aureus, 7.71g, 18mm
Rome 46/47
obv. TI CLAVD CAESAR AVG PM TRP VI IMP XI
laureate head r.
rev. PACI AVGVSTAE
Pax/Nemesis walking r., holding caduceus l.
and pointing with it at snake at her feet; holding fold of the
robe before her chin
RIC I, 38; C.57; von Kaenel 628 (this specimen!)
R2; about VF
One of my favorite coins due to its pedigree:
ex. coll. Moritz Simon, Berlin
ex. Glandining & Co., London 1929, Nr.666
ex. Cahn, Ffm. 1930, Nr.232
ex. MuM, Basel

I think about the gesture 'holding fold of drapery to her chin' we have had a longer thread too!

Best regards

whitetd49:
OK, I'll bite.  What makes this figure Nemesis instead of Nike/Victory?  The usual attributes of Nemesis, wheel, scale, measuring rod, are lacking.

Jochen:
Hi whitetd!

You are right, this figure is enigmatic. But Nike/Victory I have never seen with this characteristic gesture. Wings yes, but never this gesture!

Best regards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version