Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Coins Discussion Forum

Elvis of the Day

(1/1)

AlexB:
NEW ARRIVAL - Pixodaros, Satrap of Caria in Halicarnossos 340-334BC. He died at Issos for his Great King fighting Alexander.

Meanwhile as this coin demonstrates, the other 'King' isnt dead, he travelled back in time and is on this coin complete with snarling lip.

Thank you very much...  ;D

slokind:
I think there is a family resemblance, even a portraiture-manner resemblance, to the great big statue of Maussolus, or whomever, in the British Museum.  That is a master die, in any case.
Patricia Lawrence

slokind:
Well, here, over life size in marble, is an actual relative of Pixodaros, the 12-foot-tall so-called Maussolos in the British Museum, original work, from the Mausoleum at Halikarnassos of the middle or 3rd quarter of the 4th century BCE.  It's one of the family, even though it doesn't have Maussolos's name on it.  It suddenly struck me that your Pixodaros head, though it incorporates all the skills acquired since the earliest Syracusan ones, is definitely a portrait, just as the big statue is, of this dynasty.
Patricia Lawrence

AlexB:
Dear Pat

I see your point - very similar though the statue figure sports a moustache and beard. Maybe I will tentatively attribute it as such in my gallery.

Whilst on the subject of facts and attributions, does anyone know or have reference to Pixodaros' death? I though I had seen ref. to him as dying at Issos but reading through it seems he could have died 'of natural causes' or at Granicus.

Appreciate any assistance.

Alex

slokind:
Oh, I was talking about style and the family likenesses of the Carian dynasty!  Pixodaros was Maussolos's youngest brother, the OCD says.  The big statues are probably Ionian or Carian work.*  If a thesis that I had the privilege of supervising some years ago is right, the date of the statues is a bit too early for a portrait of Pixodaros (the thesis is too early to have been filed in .pdf format), although the popular story about Artemisia retaining the sculptors and the latter continuing the great project just to be a part of something so great--just a tale that arose CONSEQUENT to the lists of Wonders becoming popular--cannot really date the completion of the monument, and there has been disagreement about the date of the statues.  If it is unjustified, however, to assume the big statues are Maussolos and Artemisia, it is equally so to think the male one might be his brother.  The big statue has NO ONE's name written on it, unlike the coin.  Anyway, never mind the mustache,** which has nothing to do with real likeness, familial OR stylistic.  I was looking at the modeling of the brow (not just its having a crease), the set of the eyes, the shape and modeling of the cheek bones, and the character-expression that the artists sought.
* Bryaxis is thought of precisely because his name is not of Greek origin.  This is just a guess, though not an unintelligent one.
** If the coin and the statue WERE the same person, he could have grown facial hair between the issue of the one and the carving of the other.
Patricia Lawrence

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version