Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Coins Discussion Forum

Geta denarius - CASTOR

(1/1)

Federico M:
Another Severan coin I'd like to attribute in a more precise way (for instance, was it struck only at Rome mint?):

Geta as Caesar silver denarius (AD 203 ? I found also 200-202 on the net... Rome mint (?))
O/ P SEPT GETA - CAES PONT; Drap. bust r.
R/ CASTOR; Castor stg l. in front of horse, reins in r. hand & scepter in l.
Scarce (?)
References I found: RIC IV 6; BMCRE 216; RSC 12; sear5 #7169.   

I like this coin since the portrait of Geta on obverse is very similar to the image of Castor on reverse...
[I already read these interesting comments and I'm quoting this link just for other people that could be eventually interested: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=9902.msg70988#msg70988]

Thanks and best regards,
Federico

PS
Once again, I bought this coin from a seller I did not know on EBay, so authenticity comments are wellcome...

curtislclay:
Coin looks authentic, a very nice example!
20 specimens in Reka Devnia hoard, so not rare, but definitely scarce.
Likely date 203 AD, because on asses CASTOR shares an obv. die of Geta with IIII LIBERALITAS AVGG, a type which on middle bronzes of Septimius and Caracalla is dated TR P XI = TR P VI = 203 AD.
Hill 659 places your coin in 204, apparently a year too late.
Yes, mint of Rome, the only one in operation after the closure of the new-style Eastern mint in 202.

slokind:
And it seems to be one of the Dioscuri in front of the Temple of Castor and Pollux in the Forum.  Pat L.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version