Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Coin of the Day

Maridvnvm, Probus-Ticinum-Coded-OT-Day, 23 Apr 05

(1/7) > >>

maridvnvm:
This one meet a couple of my collecting themes in one go. Probus, Mars, and it's Coded too.

Obv:– IMP C M AVR PROBVS AVG CONS III, Radiate bust left in imperial mantle, holding sceptre surmounted by eagle.
Rev:– MARTI PACIF, Mars walking left, holding olive-branch, spear and shield.
Minted in Ticinum (I | _ / QXXI) Emission 9, Officina 4. Late A.D. 277
Reference(s) – Cohen 360. RIC 511 Bust type H (Scarce)

Part of the coded EQVITI Series II of Ticinium. The coded coins are quite a bit scarcer than the ordinary series.

Regards,
Martin

Numerianus:
Martin: "The coded coins are quite a bit scarcer than the ordinary series."

I do not believe that it is true. It is a  standard dealers claim to attract attention
(as the label "rare" in general.)
In fact, coded MARTI PACIF is much  more frequent than non coded.  Even in my hasardous
collection of Probus  there are two examples (one is even silvered). But your coin from the 6th emission, a beautiful one, is appreciated also because it is dated.   

maridvnvm:
Numerianus is correct. What I meant was that the dated, coded coins are scarcer than the ordinary coded coins. I typed in haste and have lots of leasurly time to repent!
Regards,
Martin

cscoppa:
Martin,

You are correct in saying the DATED CODED series coins are much scarcer. I have 41 coded Probus coins in my collection and have never come acrossed one of the DATED ones for sale.

I see in RIC that your coin has other dated coins in the same series, but they must be towards the end of the series because they are CONS IIII for Probus' 4th consulate (RIC 512) and another with a shorter obv legend IMP C PROBVS AVG CONS IIII (RIC 513). both rated rarity of R2 which are even much scarcer than the (S) you show.

VERY NICE FIND

maridvnvm:
Chip,
This is my second coded CONS III. The other example however is not as nice as the Mars above. It will do until I can complete the set and then upgrade ;).

Regards,
Martin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version