Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Coins Discussion Forum

Rare Probus coin-is it really rare?

(1/2) > >>

Vladimir:
My unexpected gift, [broken link removed by admin]
Is this coin really rare? Does it worth $18? Thank you

PS My wife bought it for me, after I told her about Probus  bronze antonianus I found among uncleans-- exeptional,remarkably fine details,Fides Milituvm on the reverse, with very confusing mintmarks, which I cant find anywhere--PXX under Fides Militvm  and "E"  close to the right hand of FM

cscoppa:
You have recieved a "CODED" coin of Probus (the first I in AEQVITI) which is RIC 508 from the Ticinum mint struck in 281. There is an EXCELLENT site to study Probus on www.probvs.info  You can find others like it there. Also there is an article here on the RESOURSE page about the AEQVITI series of Probus that I wrote a few years ago that may interest you.

As for the worth........if I had seen it, you (your wife) would have had to bid higher to beat me. I my opinion this is a VERY nice (& interesting) coin.

If you post a picture or a scan of your other PROBUS coin I will try to help you attribute it.

cscoppa:
Here is a picture of the coin discribed above. It is helpful to post the picture too and not just a link. This is because after a while the link will go dead and will be of no use.

cscoppa:
Your question about your cleaned Probus with Fides Militvm with the PXX and the E in the field is leading me to a dead end, but if you are mis-attributing the reverse as Fides and it should be Concord here is an example from the BEST Probus website I've found of a possible coin.

virtvsprobi:
Vladimir,

While as such things go, this coin is not rare at all, 18 dollars for an OK example like this is a fair price.

One thing to remember about eBay is that every second item there is the rarest rarity on this Earth, and maybe in six Universes beyond. :D

Your question about your cleaned Probus with Fides Militvm with the PXX and the E in the field is leading me to a dead end

Chip, yes it has to be a Concordia as you surmised. First and foremost because FIDES is always from officina VI. Ticinum had types assigned to particular officinae, so you know there will never be a FIDES from officina P. You haven't gone into a dead end, you found the exit!

Cheers,

G/<

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version