Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sev Alexander Rev Legend  (Read 1564 times)

samnite

Sev Alexander Rev Legend
« on: January 17, 2005, 09:52:32 am »
I have a Severus Alexander denarius, Obv. legend IMP.SEV.ALEXAND.AVG, laureate head right.  Reverse is Salvs seated on throne feeding snake, but I cannot find reverse legend listed.  Legend reads S A * * * * S V L A S.  The non-asterixed letters are perfectly clear--could legend be SALVS INSVLAS?  Any reference help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Ron

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re:Sev Alexander Rev Legend
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 10:23:47 am »
      There was a specimen of your coin in the Reka Devnia hoard, reported in BMC 1084*.  I also have one in my current collection which I hope will end up in BM.
      Rev. legend is SALVS P SVLAS.  That's the correct beginning of the intended legend SALVS PVBLICA, followed by a second SALVS written backwards!  
      This interpretation is my own little discovery, made some 15 or 20 years ago, and I haven't seen it published anywhere.
      I would like to see an image of your coin.  It seems likely that this mistake was made on only one rev. die!
Curtis Clay

samnite

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 10:58:39 am »
Thanks for the quick response.  Now that you supply the explanation, I can see the bottom of the S and P where most of the letter is off the flan.

Does your information mean there are only three known specimens of this coin--yours, mine, and the horde specimen?  That's kind of neat.

Sorry, but I don't have an operable scanner or digital camera.  Whenever one becomes available, I will scan and send to you.  

Ron

samnite

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 02:24:42 pm »
     There was a specimen of your coin in the Reka Devnia hoard, reported in BMC 1084*.  I also have one in my current collection which I hope will end up in BM.
      Rev. legend is SALVS P SVLAS.  That's the correct beginning of the intended legend SALVS PVBLICA, followed by a second SALVS written backwards!  
      This interpretation is my own little discovery, made some 15 or 20 years ago, and I haven't seen it published anywhere.
      I would like to see an image of your coin.  It seems likely that this mistake was made on only one rev. die!

Curtis

Now that I have a scanner, I thought I'd post the image of this coin.  Does the reverse match your die?  As I asked before, would you say there are only three known examples of this coin?

Ron

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 11:17:03 am »
Ron,
      Thanks for posting the image.
      Your coin is DIFFERENT dies both sides from that in the Reka Devnia hoard, illustrated in the publication, pl. V, 75!
      How did the engravers manage to DUPLICATE such a blatant error?
      My own spec. is unfortunately not easy to find among a mess of unordered recent accessions, but when it turns up I'll inform the board about its dies!
Regards,
Curtis Clay
Curtis Clay

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 01:35:01 pm »
I think you'd have to postulate an illiterate, severely dyslexic celator!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity