Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unusual Caracalla denarius portrait  (Read 1748 times)

William J Bligh

Unusual Caracalla denarius portrait
« on: February 11, 2005, 03:29:50 pm »
Thoughts on this, anyone? Is it a provincial mint or a barbarous imitative type or what?? He just looks so....WEIRD.

Offline Tiathena

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit
Re:Unusual Caracalla denarius portrait
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 03:34:33 pm »

Very different / unique for sure.  Not the typical juvenile Marcus Antoninus portrait, where (to me, anyway) he always looks so much like Geta.

Just right-off the ‘cuff’ so to speak – my gut-reaction is to suspect it’s a provincial & not a barbaric imitation.
  What does the reverse look like?

Best –
  Tia

Facilius per partes in cognitionem totius adducimur.  ~ Seneca
My Gallery

William J Bligh

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 03:45:49 pm »
Here's the reverse - Apparently its the 'Securitas Perpetua' type, but the legend is a bit blundered.
Here's a link to the official type on wildwinds.

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sear5/s6678.html

It's too bad there's a large scratch across the reverse, but the portrait intrigued me enough to pick it up anyways

Offline Tiathena

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 04:22:29 pm »

Thanks for showing the reverse, too.
  Yeah – that’s sure different.
  I’m clueless.
  Still have a gut feeling it’s Provincial – but my gut feelings usually prove wrong in these questions it seems.

I definitely understand your underlying question better now, tho’ – thanks.

Also for the obverse – the official one (@ WW’s) – shows M. Antoninus as bear-head, draped and cuirassed, right: where yours is laureate.
  Maybe a different (but similar) coin altogether?

Best –
  Tia

Facilius per partes in cognitionem totius adducimur.  ~ Seneca
My Gallery

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 04:27:42 pm »
As you suspected, clearly an ancient imitation, combining a rev. of 196/7 AD with blundered legend, with an obv. of 199-200.  Hence the wierd style!  Interesting nevertheless.
Curtis Clay

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 05:53:26 am »
Curtis is of course absolutely correct but to act as an illustration of what he is saying I thought that I owuld include the following coins to the thread. The first coin illustrates the bust from A.D. 199-200 and the second coin illustrates the reverse in question.

And as Curtis indicates this is an interesting coin.
Regards,
Martin

All coins are guaranteed for eternity