Numismatic and History Discussions > Coin of the Day

Rather ordinary COTD :)

<< < (2/3) > >>

the_Apostate:
You lucky girl! You must have been one of the very few to win a coin below the estimate on that mad drinking bout of the reckless spendthrifts - Triton VIII -   :( Nice coin btw.

curtislclay:
    Sir William Gull sounds like an interesting man, but a non-starter as a Ripper candidate!
    The book I read proposed an artist, a pupil of Whistler I believe, whose name I will add if I remember and can find the book.
     Yes, Walter Sickert, as Apostate and Darcy suggest.

the_Apostate:

--- Quote from: curtislclay on January 26, 2005, 11:41:56 am ---    The book I read proposed an artist, a pupil of Whistler I believe,whose name I will add if I remember and can find the book.

--- End quote ---

Most likely, Walter Sickert, proposed by Ruth Rendell who barbariously cut up some of his paintings to look for evidence.

ember:
Hi,

I believe the artist was Walter Sickert.  My most likely suspect is Francis Tumblety.

Darcy

featherz:
My husband got the idea from one of the ripper movies, which has Sir Gull as the bad guy. There appears to be a long royal conspiracy associated this which probably did not occur, but it's interesting none the less. :)

Here's an interesting article from court tv regarding Sir Gull.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/notorious/ripper/conspiracy_12.html?sect=1

However it does say at the end..

"Regarding Dr. Gull's ability to be Jack the Ripper, Donald Rumbelow in The Complete Jack the Ripper points out:

"Medically the slight stroke that Gull had in 1887 was the first attack of severe paralysis. Although he recovered from it, its effects were serious enough to prohibit him from further medical practice. Taken with the fact that he was 70 years old at this time, this is surely enough to cast doubts on the story of his roaming about Whitechapel. Finally, Gull did not die in a lunatic asylum. He died at home on 29 January 1890, after a third stroke which left him speechless.""

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version