Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Drusus Twin Sestertius  (Read 360 times)

Offline kc

• Caesar
Drusus Twin Sestertius
« on: March 21, 2023, 07:23:15 pm »
I have been successful in the Künker auction and acquired this iconic sestertius from the Salton Collection with great provenance

Drusus Twin Sestertius
Tiberius and qGermanicus Gemellus Sestertius
Obv. Busts of two children on cornucopiae (Tiberius und Germanicus), between winged caduceus.
Rev. DRVSVS CAESAR TI AVG F DIVI AVG N PONT TR POT II, big S C in the center.
Mint: Rome, struck under Tiberius for Drusus, 22-23 AD.

33mm 27.23g

BMC 95; Coh. 1 (Drusus); RIC² 42.

Ex Salton Collection
Ex Auction M. Etienne Bourgey, Paris 1923, No. 69.
Ex Auction Ars Classica 12, Luzern 1926, No. 2747.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=181429

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
Re: Drusus Twin Sestertius
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 10:21:55 pm »
Great coin! I remember watching that one, really beautiful. (I got another Salton Coll. Sestertius with an early 20th provenance: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=181232.)

There were several notable collections included in Ars Classica XII -- I wonder if that was from E. Bissen of Copenhagen?

Was the Bourgey provenance on Salton's ticket/envelope or did you find that separately? (That's a good find, since it wasn't listed in the Ars Classica catalog either.) I paid special attention to all of Salton's coins with pre-1940 provenances. I've been wondering if any were among his father Felix Schlessinger's coin stock that was taken in 1940, and then later recovered by Mark Salton after the war. Apparently, he recovered many coins and books looted by the Nazis. I don't know if anyone kept track of which ones, but it would great to know.
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline kc

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 12:44:23 pm »
Thank you Curtis, I agree there were a lot of coins with good provenances. The Bourgey provenance I found out. Your sestertius is also great :)

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 04:50:09 am »

Congratulations kc, on acquiring such a wonderful coin.

The large flan of a sestertius was a perfect medium for Tiberius to introduce his new grandsons to the public, the bold design being a masterpiece of the die cutters art. As I read it, the cornucopias which the eye picks up first symbolizes the prosperity the twins will bring to Rome. The caduceus of Mercury, which is the second image noticed, represents a message from the god that trade and commerce will be enhanced by the twins, and so explaining how the wealth expressed by the cornucopias will come into being.

Also, I believe the imagery plays on the fact that the brothers were twins. Twins had a special place in Roman Mythology, from Romulus and Remus to Castor and Pollux. Tiberius was making the point that like twins of old, these imperial twins will be great benefactors in the future.

It is such a pity that twin sons of Drusus and Livia would never live to fulfil the promise of the iconic coin.

Best regards,

Steve

Offline kc

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 04:03:48 pm »
Hi Steve,

thank you for the kind words. I am glad you like the sestertius.

Regards,
kc

All coins are guaranteed for eternity