Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > History and Archeology

Dogs in Antiquity

<< < (2/8) > >>

Joe Sermarini:
BTW, the shop has a dogs theme page.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=1821

Virgil H:
I do look at that page from time to time when I remember (normally I am looking geographically). I need to do it more often. My biggest thing on dog coins is I won't buy one without a dog that is identifiable (many of the coins I see with Artemis and a dog, you can't really see the dog (not talking about your shop's coins here, just the types)). Many you can barely tell there is a dog there. But, yes, I check that page. I have almost bought one of the Bavaria coins you have now, but that is a bridge too far for now as it is so far out of my realm, although they are attractive coins. I may get one just because of the dog. I have looked at those a few times.

Virgil

Pekka K:

My dog is from Phaestos Crete. Talos and never missing hound Laelaps.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=64686

Pekka K

mauseus:
Hi,

I have a dog to add to this thread,  sadly not a well preserved one as it came in a bulk lot of Greek coins years back. Picture quickly snapped on the phone, sorry.

Same in Kephallenia,  AE16mm,  3rd century BC. Obverse: head of Kephalos right.  Reverse: dog seated right with paw raised,  spear to right of the field. BMC Peloponnesus page 92, 25-29.

Regards,

Mauseus

shanxi:
Two dogs

Antoninus Pius
Egypt, Alexandria.
Tetradrachm 141-142 (year 5)
Obv.: ΑΝΤⲰΝΙΝΟϹ ϹƐΒ ƐVϹΒ, laureate head of Antoninus Pius, r.
Rev.: Artemis advancing, r., drawing arrow from quiver at shoulder, holding bow; at feet, dog r. and in field, L-Ɛ
Ref.: Dattari-Savio Pl. 108, 2152 (this coin).
Billon, 24mm, 13.53g

and

Diadumenian as Caesar
Moesia Inferior, Nikopolis
1 Apr 217 - mid May 218 A.D.;
Consular Legate Statius Longinus
Obv.: M OΠEΛ ΔIAΔOΥMENIANOC K, bare headed, draped and cuirassed bust right, from behind
Rev.: VΠ CTA ΛONΓINOV NIKOΠOΛITΩN ΠΡOC I CTΡΩ, Artemis hunting: advancing right, bow in left, with right drawing arrow from quiver, dog running at feet;
AE,11.9g, 25.76mm
Ref.: Varbanov I p. 308, 3743; AMNG 1843; BMC -; SNG Cop -

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version