Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Leopold I the Hogmouth, 3 Kreuzer, Need Help With References  (Read 508 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
WO99072. Silver 3 Kreuzer, gF, porous, small edge chip, 0.882g, 21.4mm, 0o, Vienna mint, 1699; obverse LEOPOLDVS D G R I S A G H B R (Leopoldus, Dei Gratia, Romanorum Imperator Semper Augustus, Germaniae, Hungariae Bohemiaeque Rex), laureate and draped bust right, 3 (denomination) in frame below; reverse GER HVN BO-HEMIA REX 16-99 (Germaniae Hungariae Bohemiaeque Rex), arms of Vienna on breast of crowned imperial two headed eagle, crown breaking date above, (G:B) (privy mark) below; ex Zeus auction 16 (26 Feb 2021), lot 883.

This coin does not appear to be listed in SCWC. I do not hold other references for Austria.

The reverse legend actually appears to read GER HVN BG-HEMIA REX.  I cannot find anything about the G:B privy mark either. The crest on the breast of the eagle is Vienna, but I am not sure it is from the Vienna mint.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Leopold I the Hogmouth, 3 Kreuzer, Need Help With References
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 12:44:58 pm »
Bump.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline dwarf

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 04:59:14 pm »
I just forgot to search for "Groschen"

Minted in Brieg, Silesia
For variation in the inscription one has to consult Herinek
https://www.coinarchives.com/w/openlink.php?l=54478066172808ab09914044830598c13616c0e5cfcb94

Regards
Klaus

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 08:57:24 pm »
Thanks Klaus, but I can't find any references to confirm that. I am still stuck. The reverse legend appears to be that used by the Kingdom of Bohemia. The shield on the eagle's chest is the arms of Vienna. The privy mark matches nothing I find.  This is undoubtedly a very inexpensive coin and I am spending way too much time on it but curiosity is getting me.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline dwarf

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 04:27:26 am »
I took the liberty to post the photo in our German forum
https://www.numismatikforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65800&p=565595#p565595

Seems to be no official coin. It is a combination of Bohemian and Silesian elements which just cannot be official / regular.
But it is definitely "from the time"

Many people spent a lot of time on a coin worth a very few Dollars - but this is sometimes part of the fun.

Regards
Klaus

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 11:13:53 am »
Many people spent a lot of time on a coin worth a very few Dollars - but this is sometimes part of the fun.

Thanks Klaus. Yes, this is exactly why the Forum shop usually has a lot more information about the coins than anyone else. I want to know more.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity