Antiquities Discussion Forums > Other Metal Antiquities

Possible belt mount?

(1/1)

Kilian O:
I just got back from a metal detecting trip and found what appears to match some roman belt mount designs. However other finds didn't show up so that makes me doubtful it is Roman.

SC:
A flat-head stud, they, like the mushroom-head studs, had a wide variety of uses - belts, baldrics, horse harness, etc.  They were especially common in the 2nd to 3rd century but were used before and after that too.

SC

Kilian O:

--- Quote from: SC on April 15, 2022, 08:42:10 am ---A flat-head stud, they, like the mushroom-head studs, had a wide variety of uses - belts, baldrics, horse harness, etc.  They were especially common in the 2nd to 3rd century but were used before and after that too.

SC

--- End quote ---

Thanks Shawn so you think it's Roman? The alloy,patina and and iron encrustations made me think it's more modern. In that case i'm excited as there are many fields left to explore :D.

SC:
This type was definitely used widely by the Romans, some have an almost mirrored finish - likely tinned.  Some studied in the Netherlands were once coated with enamel though almost nothing remains.  Most were simple bronze.

It you clean off the base of the stud it should show signs of hand manufacture.

SC

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version