Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Small Lead Mummiform? Figure or Tessera?, Caesarea Maritima  (Read 436 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Small Lead Mummiform? Figure or Tessera?, Caesarea Maritima
« on: April 05, 2022, 08:49:32 pm »
Hi, all.  Here is a very small, (2.1cm) bearded lead figure, perhaps a mummiform Zeus? or other deity.  I suppose it could be a tessera, there are many from Caesarea Maritima with odd shapes, but it is fairly thick, so I am somewhat skeptical.  The reverse is plain, with some marks that might suggest it was cast or stamped, and then trimmed unevenly, closer to the edges of the image.  The body has rectangular and triangular shapes that suggest wrapping to me, but I am open to any other ideas regarding the design or possible use of such an object.  Thanks, as always.  V-drome

BCC L29
Cast Lead Figure
Roman 1st-3rd? Century CE
Solid cast (or stamped?)lead figure of a Mummiform Zeus
Bearded facing head with wrapped? body.  The reverse is blank.
The bottom appears to show signs of breakage but it is difficult
to be certain.  2.1 x 1.05 x 0.35cm. 3.24gm.
Surface find from the beach near Caesarea Maritima, 1971.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Small Lead Mummiform? Figure or Tessera?, Caesarea Maritima
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 05:14:17 pm »
Looks a bit like a herm.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity