Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Coin Photography, Conservation and Storage

Photographing scyphate (cupped) coins - Methods and setups

<< < (4/4)

Ron C2:
Virgil, if you can find an adaptor or lens that would get the camera physically further away from the coin while still giving usable magnification, your shots would improve.  I can see the shadow of your camera on the coin image itself, likely because the lens face is close enough to the coin that it's impeding light from reaching the coin's surface during an exposure.

Hope that helps :)

Virgil H:
Ron,
I can definitely see that and part of it is just my not ideal setup. And I tried to work around it.  I know this can be improved, I just need to figure out how to do it. The biggest downside with these attachments is how close you have to be to the object. Not really bad in itself, all macro lenses require you to be close. Obviously, a real macro lens would be ideal., but they are expensive for what is a rather limited need for me. Maybe a bunch of soft light flooded in would work. I will keep working on it. Once I get it dialed in I will start a gallery, LOL.

Thanks,
Virgil

Virgil H:
My point was is that I think the detail is there with the attachment, it is the lighting that is my big issue. Depth of field seems fine. That said, I have never made a photograph of a coin I thought was any good under any circumstances. I think this method will work as good as more expensive options.

Virgil

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version