Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Searching more information  (Read 699 times)

Offline Mario T

• Praetorian
Searching more information
« on: December 10, 2021, 10:38:04 am »
Good morning. I am looking for more information on this oil lamp, identified only generically, with a strange figure. At the bottom there are signs,
perhaps an inscription. Thanks for any suggestions

Offline Strobilus2

• IMPERATOR
  • Praetorian
  • Ancient Lamps Expert
    • RomQ Collection - Ancient Lamps
Re: Searching more information
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 10:10:51 pm »
The cursive inscription on the base of your lamp reads MAVRICI (on two lines) for Mauricius, a lampmaker based in North Africa during the second half of the 2nd to early 3rd centuries AD.

Another lamp by this maker is shown here:
http://www.romulus2.com/lamps/database/lamp.php?82

Without attributes, I'm hesitant to identify the male profile bust depicted on the discus but Neptune is a possibility.
David Knell

Offline Mario T

• Praetorian
Re: Searching more information
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 10:04:19 am »
Many thanks, i agree that the profile can be identified with Neptune

All coins are guaranteed for eternity