Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Arrow & Bolt Head References  (Read 4729 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Arrow & Bolt Head References
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2020, 03:42:54 pm »
Interesting. I changed it back. I have never seen an iron trilobate bladed arrowhead. Triangular solid (bodkin), I have seen but not bladed.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2022, 02:59:56 pm »
Iranian tanged bronze arrowheads, from I. N. Medvedskaya’s Iran: Iron Age I. Second millennium BC dating on left of chart. The classifications I-V are based on the form of the blades. In most cases the dimensions are not provided, although Medvedskaya does mention that examples of Type I range between 3.2 cm to 13 cm.

According to Medvedskaya, iron arrowheads were not produced in Iran until Iron Age II (c. 1000 – 800 BC), and “they mostly repeat types I and IIa”. He concurs with P. R. S. Moorey (Catalogue of the Ancient Persian Bronzes in the Ashmolean Museum) that “arrowheads of both periods (Iron Age I and II in Iran) are not differentiated territorially…but it should be noted that arrowheads with a drooping barb and ‘wings’ predominate in the northern areas (Talish, Khurvin, and Marlik).”

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2022, 03:03:25 pm »
Bronze tanged arrowheads from Western Asia, from I. N. Medvedskaya’s Iran: Iron Age I. Second millennium BC (late Bronze Age through end of Iron Age I) dating to left. Sizes not provided.

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2022, 03:05:42 pm »
First millennium BC bronze socketed arrowheads of Iran, from I. N. Medvedskaya’s Iran: Iron Age I. Dating to left. Sizes not provided.

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2022, 05:42:23 pm »
Hi, Bob,

Great help, Thanks ... +++

Joe
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2023, 11:14:21 pm »
Source:
Khonsarinejad, E., Riahiyan Gohorti, R., Tavakoli, S. (2023). "Arrowheads in the cultural-historical property repository of the Administration of Cultural Heritage of Kerman, An Introduction." Historia i Świat, 12, 73–96. https://doi.org/10.34739/his.2023.12.05

All of these arrowheads were acquired through clandestine activities in Iran and were confiscated by the authorities in Kerman Province, Southeastern Iran. They are stored in the cultural-historical property repository of the Administration of Cultural Heritage of Kerman.

Arrowheads 1-9 are deltoid in form and made of bronze. Dimensions (cm) and notes are provided in the image.

Additional information about some in this group:
#1 – The authors cite a similar arrowhead from Assyria, dated to 1200-800 BC. The type was also used during that same period in Egypt, according to Malloy.
#2 – The authors cite a similar, though iron, arrowhead dated to mid-7th century BC from Ayanis, Turkey.
#3 – The authors cite a similar arrowhead dated c. 1450-1350 BC from excavations at Agha-Evlar (Iran). Medvedskaya dates this type to c. 1250 BC.
#4 – The authors relate this to an arrowhead from Ayanis, dated late 9th to early 8th century BC.
#6 – The authors cite a similar arrowhead from Sarm, Iran, dated to Iron Age II, 1200-800 BC.

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2023, 11:16:46 pm »
Source:
Khonsarinejad, E., Riahiyan Gohorti, R., Tavakoli, S. (2023). "Arrowheads in the cultural-historical property repository of the Administration of Cultural Heritage of
Kerman, An Introduction." Historia i Świat, 12, 73–96. https://doi.org/10.34739/his.2023.12.05

All of these arrowheads were acquired through clandestine activities in Iran and were confiscated by the authorities in Kerman Province, Southeastern Iran. They are stored in the cultural-historical property repository of the Administration of Cultural Heritage of Kerman.

Arrowheads 10-18 are deltoid in form and made of bronze. Dimensions (cm) and notes are provided in the image.

#10 and #11 – The authors compare these arrowheads to a similar one from Karchaghbyur, Armenia that dates to the 8th-7th century BC.
#12-#16 – This type is dated by Medvedskaya to c. 1200 BC.
#18 – The authors compare this arrowhead to an iron example of similar form from the Hasanlu Period IVB. (I believe c. 800 BC.)

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2023, 11:19:24 pm »
Source:
Khonsarinejad, E., Riahiyan Gohorti, R., Tavakoli, S. (2023). "Arrowheads in the cultural-historical property repository of the Administration of Cultural Heritage of Kerman, An Introduction." Historia i Świat, 12, 73–96. https://doi.org/10.34739/his.2023.12.05

Arrowheads 19-27 are deltoid in form and made of bronze. Dimensions (cm) and notes are provided in the image.

The authors relate all arrowheads in the group to an iron example of similar form from the Hasanlu Period IVB. (I believe c. 800 BC.)

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2023, 11:22:38 pm »
Source:

Arrowhead #28 is deltoid in form; #29-36 are oblanceolate in form. All here are made of bronze. Dimensions (cm) and notes are provided in the image.

#28 – The authors relate this arrowhead to an iron example of similar form from the Hasanlu Period IVB. (I believe c. 800 BC.)
#29-36 – The authors compare these to similar arrowheads “excavated at Tell el-Ajjul, dated to Dynasty XVIII of Egypt (1549–1298 B.C.) and Megiddo stratum IX (1550-1479 B.C.) and VIII (1479-1350 B.C.)”

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2023, 11:24:52 pm »
Source:
Khonsarinejad, E., Riahiyan Gohorti, R., Tavakoli, S. (2023). "Arrowheads in the cultural-historical property repository of the Administration of Cultural Heritage of
Kerman, An Introduction." Historia i Świat, 12, 73–96. https://doi.org/10.34739/his.2023.12.05

Arrowheads #37-45 are oblanceolate in form. #41 and #42 are copper; all others here are made of bronze. Dimensions (cm) and notes are provided in the image.

#38 – Somewhat rhomboid blade. The authors relate this arrowhead to a similar example from Megiddo stratum V (ca. 1050-1000 B.C.).
#39-41 – The authors compare these to similar arrowheads “…from Tell Defenneh and the palace of Apries at Memphis, dating to the Dynasty XXVI (664-525 B.C.) and the Persian Age of Egypt, respectively.”
#44 – The authors compare this arrowhead to a similar one from the Late Bronze Age temple at Kamid el-Loz, Lebanon.

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2023, 11:28:05 pm »
Source:

Arrowhead #46 is oblanceolate in form and is made of schist. All others in this group are made of bronze and are lanceolate, lozenge-shaped, or ovate in form. Dimensions (cm) and notes are provided in the image.

#46 – The authors speculate that this arrowhead, along with #42-45 in the previous group, may be from “various sites of Late Bronze Age Egypt and the Near East.”
#47 – The authors compare this to a similar arrowhead from the “Late Bronze Age temple at Amman, dated to c. 1400- c.1200 B.C.”
#48 – The authors relate this one to a similar arrowhead from the necropolis of Namin, Iran, dated to the Late Bronze Age to the Early Iron Age.
#49 - #51 – Medvedskaya dates this general type to c. 1000 BC.
#52 – The authors compare this to similar examples from Hasanlu Period IVB and IV.
#53 and #54 – The authors relate these to similar examples from Hasanlu Period IVB.

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2023, 11:31:18 pm »
Source:

Arrowhead #55 is lozenge shaped; #56-#57 are ovate in form; #58 has a spade shaped blade; #59 is oblong; and the remainder in this group are trilobate. Dimensions (cm) and notes are provided in the image.

#55 – Related by the authors to a similar example from Hasanlu Period IVB.
#56 – The authors compare this to a similar example from Late Bronze Age temple at Kamid el-Loz, Lebanon.
#57 – The authors relate this one to similar examples from Tell el-Ajjul (Gaza) and Yorgan Tepe (Iraq) stratum II (1475 BC).
#58 and #59 – The authors compare these arrowheads to similar examples from the Late Bronze Age temple at Kamid el-Loz, Lebanon.
#60-#63 – Dated to the Achaemenid Period.

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2023, 11:33:04 pm »
Source:

All in this group are trilobate. Dimensions (cm) and notes are provided in the image. All are compared to similar arrowheads dating to the Achaemenid Period, and all are said to have counterparts “among the arrowheads obtained from Tall-I Takht, Pasargadae.” (Capital of the Achaemenid Empire under Cyrus the Great)

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2023, 11:35:17 pm »
Source:

All in this group are trilobate. Dimensions (cm) and notes are provided in the image. All are compared to similar arrowheads dating to the Achaemenid Period. #77-#81 are compared “to some of the arrowheads unearthed from Levels I and II of the Achaemenid Village at Susa.”

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2023, 11:37:44 pm »
Source:

All in this group are trilobate. Dimensions (cm) and notes are provided in the image. All are compared to similar arrowheads dating to the Achaemenid Period.

Additional information about this group:
#82-#84 – The authors relate these to “leaded bronze arrowheads excavated from Tumulus T6 at Daskyleion, dated to the 5th and 4th centuries B.C.”
#85 and #86 – The authors state these are similar to some arrowheads excavated at Persepolis.
#87 – This arrowhead is compared to a similar one of the Achaemenid Period from Sorkh-Dagh Tepe at Nad-i-Ali.
#88 – The authors compare this one to examples of Kyuzeli-gyr from the 6th through 3rd centuries BC.
#89 and #90 – The authors relate these to similar arrowheads discovered in Turkey, dated to the 7th through 2nd centuries BC.

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2023, 11:40:14 pm »
Source:

All in this group are trilobate. Dimensions (cm) and notes are provided in the image. All are compared to similar arrowheads dating to the Achaemenid Period.

Additional notes about the arrowheads in this group:
#91 and #92 – The authors relate these to arrowheads from Kalabaktepe at Miletus and Didyma, dated to c. 600 – 500 BC.
#93 – The authors relate this one to a possibly-Parthian surface find from Shahr-i-Qumis, dating to c. 1st century BC through 3rd century AD. However, they also see similarities between the arrowhead and slightly earlier examples dating to c. 260-145 BC from “the arsenal of Ai-Khanoum.”
#94 – This one may be Parthian, 3rd century BC through 2nd century AD.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity