Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Complete novice with questions.  (Read 2470 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: Complete novice with questions.
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2021, 05:48:08 pm »
Wildwinds is probably my favorite site for beginning a search online after I have some ideas about where it is from or what emperor it is. For Greek coins, I use the Plant book to narrow it down to some possibilities. Note, I am not experienced enough to look at most coins and just know like some folks here, but I am getting closer every day to that, especially with Greek coins that have consistent city motifs. Wildwinds helps to identify a coin much more specifically. I will also cross reference with the databases the American Numismatic Society maintains, as well as some other places, and also try to look up coins on the auction databases like acsearch and coinarchives. Both have free versions and coinarchives even has prices realized for a certain number of coins before you get into the fee aspect of their offerings. Those fees are pretty high and certainly not worth it for me to pay, they are really sites for dealers. Wildwinds is run by a member here and truly is remarkable. It is an amazing resource.

Regards,
Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity