Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Lead Tesserae and Seals from the Tom Vossen Collection  (Read 952 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Roman Lead Tesserae and Seals from the Tom Vossen Collection
« on: January 04, 2022, 03:45:03 pm »
I received the book today - thanks Gert.  It is excellent and fills a big blank in my library. I only wish there were a dozen more volumes. 

Boersema-Dalzell

Boersema, G. & B. Dalzell. Roman Lead Tesserae and Seals from the Tom Vossen Collection. (Hasselt, Netherlands, 2021).

Hardcover, 80 pages with color illustrations of 121 tesserae and 109 seals throughout. Catalogue of Tom Vossen's collection of lead tesserae and seals, most of which are hitherto unpublished types. The book pictures and describes tesserae from Rome (26 pieces), Ostia and Gaul (1 each), Egypt (2), and, perhaps most importantly, an impressive collection of struck tesserae from Asia Minor (91 pieces). The second part of the book is devoted to his collection of 109 Roman seals, another type of object that is as of yet very much under-studied and under-published. Also included is an introduction to the interesting subject matter of Roman tesserae and seals as well as an extensive bibliography.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Roman Lead Tesserae and Seals from the Tom Vossen Collection
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 06:33:29 am »
Thank you very much Joe! Both for the kind words in your post here and for your purchase (even though it took a while to get to you)!

I know there is a book in the pipeline on a collection of Roman potrait seals, mainly imperial - which would fill additional blanks! I do hope that collection will be published as well.

Regards
Gert

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 05:07:45 pm »
Interesting!

Where is the book sold?  Will you carry it Joe?

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 05:28:23 pm »
Gert has it in his VCoins shop

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/gert_boersema/25/product/roman_lead_tesserae_and_seals_from_the_tom_vossen_collection_by_gert_boersema_and_bill_dalzell/1623373/Default.aspx

It is also available from ABE.

I am not carrying many books these days. They simply do not sell anymore. Most people think all they need is on the internet.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 05:56:14 pm »
Most people think all they need is on the internet.

And this is why Gen Z is doomed...
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 05:58:58 pm »
I think that eventually it will be true, everything will be on the internet. Buying and reading books will be like going to the movies today. You can see any movie at home, but a big screen is nice, for something special. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 06:04:40 pm »
I think that eventually it will be true, everything will be on the internet. Buying and reading books will be like going to the movies today. You can see any movie at home, but a big screen is nice, for something special.

I think that's true for things like recreational books (fiction, modern poetry, etc.).  For out of print historical books - doubtful.  It's likely not a good        to have most of them scanned.

Plus, I find the printed coin reference books easier to navigate than a PDF facsimile.  I doubt I'm alone.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 06:50:57 pm »
KOINON will never be digital-only and neither will any book I ever write.  In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever purchased an “eBook”.

Congrats on your book Gert.  I have a million expenses lined up but at some point I’d like to buy a copy.

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 07:54:01 pm »
One thing I learned in life is: never say never…
DT

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2022, 08:52:56 pm »
True, I suppose if it is cost prohibitive, but prices for books are actually dropping, so hopefully not in my lifetime. 

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2022, 11:35:38 pm »
I know I am old, but I hate digital books because they are hard to search, hard to find the page you looked at before, and hard to even see on the screen, depending on the format and your screen size. There are some online magazines and books that are simply unreadable if you need to move around in them or, in some cases, to even see one full page. If necessary, I will read a crappy novel on the Kindle app. And Kindle editions often cost more than the printed version. Anyway, I also know my heirs will not want my books because they just don't do books. Yet, and it's a big yet, coin books are crazy expensive. And a well designed data base online is wonderful for coin research. A scanned book not so much. Case in point is the Bellinger Phillip II article that is in a 1,000 plus page pdf that takes me 15 minutes to find it every time. That article I am going to print out. The other issue is I have a lot of downloaded books and 1) never remember what books they are; 2) can't remember where I saved them (even with a file cabinet, when I actually file something, it is the last time I will ever see it); and 3) if I do remember I might have it, I have to open 20 files to find the right one (see my comment on filing because the logical file folder tab name at the time of filing has nothing to do with remembering what the correct folder it may be that I need, same with file names). I can look over my bookshelves and find something fairly quickly. Ah well, the modern world. But seriously, if no one uses or wants books anymore, why are coin books so expensive? For example, I would love to have some RIC volumes, unfortunately that is not going to happen.

Cheers,
Virgil

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2022, 06:28:21 am »
Don't get me wrong. I like my books and also find them much easier to use than a PDF. I just think it is inevitable that eventually someday books will be uncommon and literally everything, even the most obscure old reference books, even ancient papyrus fragments, will be on the internet. Children growing up today will be much more comfortable reading online than we are.

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2022, 06:39:12 am »
The numbers on the ground tell a bit of a different story—I remember we had this same discussion about a month ago and print outsells digital by a rate of something like 25/1. I don’t see that changing until eBooks are substantially less expensive.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2022, 06:52:31 am »
Most of the information on the internet is free. The real competition is not between a print book and the same eBook, it is between print books and free online information. Even if the free information is not up to date or as complete or accurate, many people, especially younger people, are choosing free. Long term, I expect that eBooks will be substantially less expensive, competing with free will make that inevitable. I believe that the music, movie, TV, and video markets are examples of the trends and books will follow the same path, just slower.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2022, 08:00:50 am »
Maybe publishers will figure out some way to provide things free online, but I don't see how unless a book is loaded with ads, or the only published books are from universities or elites that can pay the open access fees that publishers charge.  The youth do indeed gravitate toward the internet (largely because many parents have a similar mentality that everything is free online), but those that are going beyond a cursory overview of a topic invariably come back to print or at least paid databases with good information.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2022, 07:39:59 pm »
I believe publishers as they exist today have little chance for long term survival.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity