Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Encapsulated Coins  (Read 2208 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: Encapsulated Coins
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2021, 07:22:55 pm »
That actually gives me an excuse to buy a new Drexel motor tool, my last one (off brand) burned up. This sounds like a great option, as does the band saw. but I don't need a band saw :-)

Thanks!

Virgil

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2021, 04:35:30 pm »
I just watched a 'how to' video online (easy to find by searching), instruction on using a hammer to crack slabs. Looked like a sure way to damage coins.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2021, 12:00:58 am »
I found that video. Very interesting and that hammer method is scary. I think I will go with hacksaw and pliers, I still haven't worked up the nerve. The comments were also very interesting. Seems as if people will remove the coins from encapsulation and resubmit to get a better grade. Modern coin collecting is all about grades, I guess. That could get expensive. What if you get a worse grade?

Thanks,
Virgil

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2021, 07:11:17 pm »
So, I took the first of my two encapsulated coins out of their enclosures today. I was a nervous wreck, but it wasn't as bad in the end as I thought. I used a hacksaw just to cut a small slit I could get a screwdriver in and then pried it open. It took a few minutes and I was being as careful as possible. I kept the NGC tag, where the number is recorded and grading. Somehow, it felt wrong to do, but I will be freeing the other one tomorrow.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity