Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Pamphylian 'L'  (Read 1322 times)

Offline ZVdP

• Legionary
Pamphylian 'L'
« on: February 01, 2021, 04:06:11 pm »
Some series of the Aspendos staters feature two letters between the wrestlers.
I've been intrigued by one combination in particular: :L::Greek_Phi: found on SNG v. Aulock 4565.
This is an example of one that was sold earlier here on ForumAncientCoins: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?param=85145q00.jpg&vpar=3140&zpg=91215

The dating is a bit too late for the 'L' to be an archaic form of lambda, so I was left wondering what letter it is.
I wasn't able to find much info on it. This paper (https://www.persee.fr/doc/anatv_1013-9559_2000_act_12_1_956) features a small discussion about the staters, but seems to gloss over this peculiar letter. (I haven't been able to trace the references though)

I recently acquired the attached coin from Selge (SNG Aulock 5243) which also contains this L in the ethnic: :E::GreeK_Sigma::Greek_Tau::Greek_Lambda::E::L::Greek_Iota::Greek_Iota::Greek_Upsilon_2::GreeK_Sigma:

Initially I was a bit puzzled how to read this (mainly since it was listed as an Aspendos coin), but once I found out it was actually from Selge, I found the other ethnic variants are:  :GreeK_Sigma::Greek_Tau::Greek_Lambda::E::L::Greek_Iota::Greek_Iota::Greek_Upsilon_2::GreeK_Sigma: and :GreeK_Sigma::Greek_Tau::Greek_Lambda::E::Greek_Gamma::E::Greek_Upsilon::GreeK_Sigma: (and later of course the classical  :GreeK_Sigma::E::Greek_Lambda::Greek_Gamma::E::Greek_Omega::Greek_Nu:)

From this it seems clear like the 'L' is in fact a gamma on these coins. And since Selge is quite close to Aspendos, it doesn't sound too far-fetched to ascribe the same value to the letter on the Aspendos stater.

I tried to find if this maybe was a particular feature of Pamphylian Greek. Perhaps a different allophone such as the two digammas F and :reversedN:, but information on Pamphylian is not particularly plentiful.

Or am I looking too much into this and is it just a mirrored letter without any special meaning? There's also a couple of Syracuse tetradrachms with a upside down R for example.

Not quite sure what to make of it. Any ideas?

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Pamphylian 'L'
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 10:59:12 am »
There is an article by Friedrich Imhoof-Blumer, “Münzen von Selge und Aspendos”, ZfN 5, 1878, pp. 133-142:
https://catalogarchive.org/data/sources/s/Imhoof-Blumer_-_Die_Muenzen_von_Selge_und_Aspendos_1878.pdf
where he discusses the legends on these coins from Selge.

His conclusion about this L is: "L ist als Γ aufzufassen" (meaning "L has to be taken as Γ"). He mentions that this flipping of the Γ also occurs on coins from Segesta.

... Or am I looking too much into this and is it just a mirrored letter without any special meaning? ...
Probably  :).

Regards

Altamura

Offline ZVdP

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 05:43:47 pm »
Wow, thanks! I was having a hard time tracking down articles like that. That's a great resource.

Regards,
ZVdP

Offline ZVdP

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 02:22:56 pm »
I'm posting this in case anyone else in the future might have a similar interest and finds this topic.

I recently discovered that on page 242 of the 'Journal of Hellenistic studies volume 1' (1880) W.M. Ramsay has written the article 'On some Pamphylian inscriptions'.
In particular, it mentions a long inscription from Sillyon of which not a lot of context is provided besides that it was found "on a stone built into a church".
Also mentioned is this: "Kirchhoff (Gesch. d. Gr. Alph.) is the only person who has published any detailed account of the inscription, and he has not advanced very far".

Luckily the journal includes a copy of the inscription between pages 248 and 249 and the author also has conveniently listed the alphabet used in the text on p249:
Α Β L Δ Ε F Η Θ Ι Κ Λ Μ 𐊪 𐋀 Ο Π Ρ Σ Τ Υ Φ + and Ͷ

From this it seems clear that 'L' is the Pamphylian epichoric variant of gamma.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 02:41:25 pm »
... on page 242 of the 'Journal of Hellenistic studies volume 1' (1880) W.M. Ramsay has written the article 'On some Pamphylian inscriptions'.
In particular, it mentions a long inscription from Sillyon ...
This article can be found here: https://archive.org/details/Ramsay18801929SelectedWritings/page/n3/mode/2up

A photograph of this stone can be seen here: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sillyon

Regards

Altamura

All coins are guaranteed for eternity