Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: How to store coins  (Read 1308 times)

Edmond L

How to store coins
« on: October 23, 2020, 09:35:59 am »
What is the correct way to store my coins.  Do I keep them in the seller's flips or remove?
 Also, I keep my coins in a case, do I set the flips on the tray or remove the coins from the flips and set directly on the velvet tray?

Much appreciated, 
GringoB

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
Re: How to store coins
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 12:47:54 pm »
Welcome!  There is a very good sub-section of this board that discusses storage and conservation issues in detail, you may find it helpful.
    Generally speaking, sellers/dealers usually keep coins in flips that are flexible and durable so that they can be handledat shows and travel in the mail, but they are usually not ideal for long-term storage.   (There are detailed reasons in various posts in the Storage section).  You probably will want to switch those coins to archival flips.  Our host, Forum Ancient Coins, is one of the few dealers that ship coins in archival flips that do not need to be replaced and I believe sells archival flips, too.
   As to coin trays, it is mostly up to you.   A lot of collectors seem to keep the coins both in flips and in the trays, and some trays are sized for that purpose.   If you have those trays, you might prefer to keep them in the flips.   The biggest problem with trays is "gravity" -- dropping a tray of loose coins is not fun.   However, coins do look much nicer on display "naked"  in trays and perhaps you can balance them well.   There are discussions about trays in the Storage sub-board.
     Also, check the tray manufacturer's information about the material used to line the trays.  Some trays may be more chemically active than others. 
    Enjoy!
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: How to store coins
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 03:29:05 pm »
Welcome, I think PMah said it best. Regarding flips, with the exception of Forum here, I have never received a good flip from another dealer or auction house, so I always switch them with archival flips I buy from the Forum store. You can usually tell immediately about the flip. Most dealers and auction houses use the cheapest flips they can get and I don't blame them. I just don't keep those flips.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity