Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sasanian Coinage -- What are ‘Barsnom’ Bundles?  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
Sasanian Coinage -- What are ‘Barsnom’ Bundles?
« on: January 15, 2020, 08:12:56 pm »
I’m not sure if this is the proper place for my question, but it didn’t seem to fit under Books and References.

Can anyone tell me what the definition is of ‘barsnom’ or ‘barsnom’ bundles”? I assume that it is a collection of sticks or staffs (with religious connotations or used in certain religious rites, particular to Zoroastrianism perhaps) but I’m not 100% sure.

In Section 19 Reverse/The Coin Type of Sasanian Numismatics (pp. 18 & 19) Göbl mentions ‘barsnom’ bundles in the context of staves and Susan Tyler-Smith does the same on p. 312 of “The Kavād Hoard” [The Numismatic Chronicle (1966-), Vol. 164 (2004)]. In neither place is the term explicitly defined and oddly enough when I execute an Internet search for the term no definition comes up. I thought that definitions for everything could be found on the Internet!  ;D

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tracy

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Sasanian Coinage -- What are ‘Barsnom’ Bundles?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 05:17:51 am »
This ingredient of the ceremonies of Zoroastrianism is spelled in different ways and "barsnom" is one of the more rarely used ones  :(.

If you are searching for "barsom" or "barsom bundle" you will find much more, a short desription on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barsom

Regards

Altamura

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
Re: Sasanian Coinage -- What are ‘Barsnom’ Bundles?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 08:57:07 am »
This ingredient of the ceremonies of Zoroastrianism is spelled in different ways and "barsnom" is one of the more rarely used ones  :(.

If you are searching for "barsom" or "barsom bundle" you will find much more, a short desription on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barsom

Regards

Altamura

Altamura,

Thank you very much for the information. I really appreciate it.

Tracy

All coins are guaranteed for eternity