Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Great Book  (Read 1857 times)

Offline Jiminey

• Praetorian
Great Book
« on: January 15, 2019, 01:09:36 pm »
With my renewed interest in ancient coins, my wife got me a book for Christmas that I think would be great for anyone new to the hobby.

Ancient Selfies by Clinton Richardson.

My interest has been mostly Roman Imperial coins, with a very little knowledge of Roman Republic and other older coins. This book was a nice summary of the different nations/cultures/rulers from the first coins  <500 BC through to Julius Caesar and the Imperators. It feels like the authors personal collection of coins that he gives a brief history of each. Along with the history, he also gives the provenance of each coin. If I counted correctly, 11 of the coins were purchased right here at Forvm Ancient Coins!

Anyone new to the hobby looking for a book, this is one I would highly recommend!

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
Re: Great Book
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 09:40:02 pm »
I agree with your recommendation. I have a copy and thoroughly enjoyed it. I like the way the author chooses a coin and then supplies a picture and description. In the description the author also gives the historical significance of the coin.

This book is a really interesting introduction to the world of ancient coins.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity