Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Flat base hematite weight 1/2 shekel  (Read 5917 times)

a

Flat base hematite weight 1/2 shekel
« on: June 04, 2016, 02:58:07 pm »
Hi,

This piece is made of hematite with bronze loop. The size is 25mm (including loop) on 10mm.

It looks like egyptian or babilonian or assyrian amulet, but I can't locate similar items on the web.

Please help me with it's identification.

Best Regards,
Explorer

a

Re: Flat base hematite weight 1/2 shekel
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 02:41:03 pm »
Hello,

Looks like I finally have identified this item. I found similar in shape but heavier one on the web. The description is "JUDAEAN SPHENDONOID , FLAT BASE HEMATITE WEIGHT. 1 1/2 SHEKEL. 1500 - 1100 B.C". The weight of my item is 4.62g, so I assume that it is 1/2 shekel. The loop was attached in order to adjust the weight of sphendonoid.

Regards,
Explorer

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 06:42:35 pm »
Fascinating object.  Perfectly preserved hematite on a nicely aged ring.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 11:31:14 pm »
interesting weight being on bronze ring.

4.62 is heavy being 1/2 of a 9.24g shekel but the ring would add a bit of weight. Wonder if the ring was added later  for some reason. Dated as these are  to possibly 14/13 cent BCE, I consider if the ring was added later, of course the hematite could be dated later as well.

cw

a

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 06:41:07 am »
Hi,

Thank you fore your replies. There are few weight standards used at these times:

Ugarit Shekel - 9.4g
Phoenician shekel - 7.1g
Mesopotamian shekel - 8.1 - 8.4g
Judean shekel - 11.33g
Egyptian kedet - 9.1g

I see similar object on vcoins with similar loop. It doesn't look as later secondary use of the object, but part of original design.

Regards,
Explorer

All coins are guaranteed for eternity